Flying through Italy

Trip Start Jul 12, 2007
Trip End Sep 11, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Italy  ,
Wednesday, August 29, 2007

So, we took the horrible boat ride to Brindisi, Italy.  YAY, we made it...  We get a bus to the metro station and end up having to walk 2 KM to the main train station where we were lucky enough to catch a train that left in 5 minutes to Pompei!!  |Talk about a ton of moving in one 24 hour period!! 

We got a hostel in Pompei and just crashed.  We AGAIN got there during siesta about 5pm so our only horrible option to eat was of course...  McDonald's...  yea, I know, when in Italy...  Eat McDonalds!!  So we crashed after, none of us waking up to go out later.  Plus, the hostel had a 1230 curfew, so we vouldn't really have gone out anyways.  15hours of sleep, but I still managed to get sick (more later). 

We walked the ruins of Pompei the next day whivh was awesome!!  Again, this computer doesn't allow the downloading of the plugin software necessary to upload photos!!  I'm SORRY!!  After walking the ruins, we took a train to Naples to get lunch at Trianon, the pizzeria that made pizza famous all over the world.  Then we walked around some sights such as the castle and the Jesu Nuovo church.  Anyone who says the catholic church doesn't have money needs to go to this church!!  I thought it was the most impressively decorated church I've ever seen!!

After walking around, we took the highspeed train to Roma!!  We got in late night and found a place to stay and then garrett dragged the tired Tim and me on a what seemed like 50 mile walk, more like 5KM, to see the Trevi fountain lit up at night.  In the end, yes, it was quite pretty and I feel it was better to see it at night than during the day!  We took a taxi back and we all sleep. 

I wonderfully awoke to excrutiating sinus pain...  hooray for that one!  Now, I know usually you need a prescription for medication, but amoxicillan is not a recreational drug!  Every traveller we met said you can just go into a pharmacy and get it, no problem.  Well, the first problem is that every freaking pharmacy in the vicinity was closed!!  good start for me.  So I get a ride to the hospital where there were... yes, you guessed it DOCTORS, but guess what?  They can't write a prescription!  Weird. So this is pissing me off because he's a doctor and I only needed antibiotics, had been to several pharmacies andf was still empty handed. 

The next day we went to the Colliseum!!  Amazing~!  If there was a really cool building, it was it!  We then grabbed a bus and rode around Rome on it just taking in some sights and decidind where to go the next day.  We get back to the hotel and I am just not doing well, but we decided that a Chuck Norris Roundhouse Kick to the Face seemed appropriate for the situation!  This is:  1/2 shot of sambuca topped carefully with a 1/2 shot of Jagermeister and topped with 2 to 3 drops of tobasco sauce.   MMM delicious. 

Next day, the 23rd of August, we go to the Vatican to see St Paul's Basilica.  What do you know, the first aid there isn't open either...  But I did feel better after coming out of the church.  Mostly is was due to the Barometric pressure drop which helped relieve the pressure on my sinuses, but all like to think it was Jesus since we had just had lunch with the Pope, or so we told people.  We walked around some more and I finally found an open pharmacy and had no trouble getting antibiotics!!  so, commence the healing!  That night, we grabbed a highspeed to Bologna.  We stayed at a four star hotel, which was actually the same price as a hostel when we all split it!!  Tim went and got food but G and I weren't hungry.  He came back saying it was the best lasagne he ever had.  15 Euros had gotten him a salad, glass of champagne, bottle of water, lasagne and dessert! 

We walked around a bit the next day searvhing for spaghetti Bolognese or spaghetti al ragu since this is what is supposed to be good there, but once we found it, we weren't too impressed.  We believe it was the restaurant, so we're still up to give it a chance.  We then walked through the gypsy market and then caught a train to Padova to see our friend Allie.  That night, we walked alond the river and went to bars that were setup there.  So many students!  It was a fun night for all drinkers and nondrinkers alike!

The nexct day, 25 August, we caught the train to Venice!!  Our best and most like city of all thus far!  Walking through alleys, and getting lost in the canals only to find little piazzas and getting a cafe latte!  We just cruised around and found Piazza di San |Marco.  Great!!  Beautiful!  I put out my arms and ran through the pigeons.  People thought I was crazy but it was a good laugh.  I have the video and will get it up when I can!  We just walked around and around the city.  Finally around 1130pm, we caught a train back to Padova and stayed the night. 

26 August, we caught a train back down to Florence!  Yea, our sense of direction was a bit lost, but I wanted to see the statue of David!!  5 Euros to get in and it was really unbelievable to actually look up at it.  We didn't go into any other museums and I totally forgot anout the Pontevecchio, but that'll be another trip,.  We had gotten ahostel, but earlier had made a reservation for the cinqueterra.  Now they said reception closed at 5pm.  We vcouldn't make it by then, so I cvalled and they said they'd charge me either way.  Bastards, so, we picked our stuff up from the hostel, apologized for leaving and caught a train to Pisa.  Oncve there, it was light enough out that we got a taxi, drove to the tower, took pictures, and then went back to the station to catch our train to La Spezia, the connection to Riomaggiore.  Soccer hooligans had flooded the neighboring train and riot police were everywhere, it was pretty cool to see as we don't really get it bavk home. 

So we got to the hostel in Cinque Terra, no problem.  They left the key outside taped to the door.  Smart of them right?  I guess its a normal thing so it was still there when we arrived at about 10 pm.  The next day we took the train to the 3rd city, got lunch and commenced our walk back to Riomaggiore.  We stopped to go in the ocean to cool off.  Getting bavk to Rio, we jumped off a cliff into the water.  It was about 35feet, so not bad.  One jump told me not to do it again with my sinuses, so I watched the others and relaxed on the rocks in the sun.  There were some caves we were going to swim into, but we had seen a quite large jellyfish near them and decided against the idea

So we left and took the train to Milan, the center of fashion.  Our plan was to buy some cheap white suits to go with the hats we all had gotten in Venice and then go out to dinner to celebrate Tim's last night, but the plan was not to come true as we found no cheap suits...  O well.  We just went out to a bar instead and had a good time. 

Garrett and I then caught a train to Nice where we stayed the night and today we are going to hit some flea markets and walk old Nice.  Then to Antibes!

I am feeling much better and am looking forward to home cooked food in Antibes with Maman and Papa Rene!!  Until next time readers and hopefully somewhere will have the ability to upload photos because we have tons of great ones!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: