Wander and ponder
Trip Start Feb 18, 2004
80Trip End Dec 05, 2005
* While in Edinburgh, I was walking down the street and there was a girl talking on her mobile phone with a total valley girl accent...only she had the Scottish accent too, so it was a Scottish valley girl accent. It sounded silly.
* Same city, was talking to an Australian who also had a bit of the valley girl thing going and kept flipping her hair over her shoulder. I can't take people seriously that talk like that.
* It's flippin' expensive here. Most everything is about equal in £ as it would be in $, only that the pound is currently around twice the value of the dollar so everything is twice as much! It's good when I can find a meal for £5 ($10).
* I've noticed the British eat with both knife and fork in hand. Cut a piece and eat. Even with chips (french fries). It looks so much more proper than me burying my head in my food or using my hands.
* Pedestrians apparently don't have the right of way. Cars will honk as you're crossing the street to make you stop so they can drive by (or turn on to street).
* Everything closes really early...like 6pm almost the whole city will be shut down. Pubs and some restaurants will still be open, but even a lot of pubs stop serving food at 5pm. Makes all the 24hr stuff in the States seem extra convenient.
* There doesn't seem to be much to do in the evenings but go to the pub (since everything else is closed). At least the Champions League semi-finals are going so I can watch soccer while there.
* It's cold here. I can't wait for Spain... :)