Recap of my last two weeks in India.

Trip Start Jan 05, 2011
Trip End Feb 14, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of India  ,
Monday, February 14, 2011

Hey guys,

Sorry for not being in touch for this long, but the last few weeks have been very hectic. But I'll take a bit of time to recap my last two weeks in India..

After 4 weeks I had to leave Delhi.. Leaving some of the most wonderful people I've ever met behind.. It was hard, but there was no time to think about it, since the next two weeks were going to be very intense, but very exciting at the same time.

On the 3rd of February I headed down to Mumbai, and it was hot hot hot! I arrived quite late in the evening, met up with my Couchsurfing host Peter at a small bar along the seafront.. We had a drink and a talk, and then we headed back to his house. It was a lovely place, somwehere in the back of a small village. Loved the quietness of the balcony!

The day after I headed down to South Mumbai.. And oh my God, it is actually like they had told me... The trains are so crowded, you cannot imagine.. The Lonely Planet: "number of people in an 1800 person capacity train at rush hour: 7000", check! Oh well, for 6eurocents you can't really have any objections. I still feel bad not being able to take any photographs.. But my camera wouldn't have survived it. I'm happy I did.

The Southern area is beautiful! Bollywood! Only yellow-top taxis are allowed in the area, and you find some of the richest boulevards in the world. I met up with some other couchsurfers, one of them who lived in Mumbai for a while, so it was very interesting to hear what he had to say about the city. For sunset we went to Chowpatty. Every night there's a hundred of people watching the sunset.. extremely charming.

The next day was very slow-paced, since we ended up at this Hawaian party the night before.. And it got a little crazy towards the end.. My slow mood made it the perfect occasion to enjoy the sun, the beach (mm not exactly beach, I would say Brighton has a better beach than some areas in Mumbai), and a good book. Also the evening was quite lazy, but very pleasant. Good food, cocktails and an interesting talk until late at night..

The next morning I had to leave Mumbai, up to Goa! India's crazy holiday resort haha! I woke up early morning to find out that my flight had about 10hours delay and it would only take off in the late afternoon.. No announcements about it though.. I found out because flight was not there on the schedule.. They told me that it was possible to cancel the flight, get a full refund, and book the next flight with another agency. Although, once you enter the airport they don't let you exit anymore, and guess where the ticket offices were? .. outside of course! After a lot of lobbying I was able to exit, booked a new flight, and reached Goa around lunchtime.

For the first two nights I booked a hotel in Calangute. Right next to the beach. Not bad. The only problem is that you can only see the beach for a couple of hours a day, before 9am and after 9pm.. The rest of the time there's only beach chairs, umbrella's and people. So after two days I needed to escape. A couchsurfer friend told me about a guesthouse in Chapora, a bit more up North. It was proper Indian-style, the people were very kind, there was a juice bar which served the best fruit salads in the world, and it had a more quiet atmosphere. So I decided to stay there for the next four days. Me and my friend spent our days on the beaches, drinking the best juices, checking out the markets in the area, drinking more juice, driving up to the villages up North,... It was chilled out enough to prepare myself for the next 72hours..

On Friday morning I took a bus up to Kolhapur, a city that nobody has ever heard of, but which was higly recommended in the Lonely Planet.. It was described as a charming historical city, not yet discovered by tourists, .. so perfect! Well mmm, not exactly as I had imagined. During the 24hours I was there I managed to get food poisoned and had two quite crazy stalking experiences. Maybe it wasn't the best idea to visit a city where nobody has ever seen a white person.. So I was kind of happy to leave the next evening.

After waiting for my night bus for about 4 hours (from 8pm until 12am), I was finally back on my way to Mumbai.. The bus arrived at around 5am. Half an hour later I knocked the door of my host's apartment, discovering that they were still partying, haha. At that moment, food poisened and not having slept for 24hours, a party wasn't exactly what I was hoping for.

The next day I did nothing more than watching sports, streched out in the sofa. Towards the end of the day I had a short walk around the area, took my last photographs, and bought my last souvenirs, because the next morning I would already be on a flight back to Europe.

This was the end of my travels in India, a long-time dream and a life-long memory. I hope to see you again sometime!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Harpal on

Good, Nice Diary section. Great that you enjoyed, except Kohlapur and food poisoning.Come; do visit again.
God Bless!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: