Trip Start Dec 09, 2010
16Trip End Dec 22, 2010
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
What a busy and wonderful few weeks we have had here at Trussell Trust HQ! Here's just a few things that have excited us during the Christmas Box Appeal this year:
- Thanks to the amazing generosity of our supporters we have received 5,296 Christmas boxes for our 2010 appeal. That is an incredible 36% increase on last year's record collection.
- We have had so many volunteers in to help sort and pack the shoeboxes that there are too many to list: thank you for all you help ladies and gents, girls and boys.
- More than 40 schools supported the appeal
- A special mention for a super supporter who organised encouraged the communtiy of Six Penny Handley to donate 150+ boxes.
- Another special mention to Zurich Insurance in Swindon. Employees there donated a feintly bewildering 273 shoeboxes. Brilliant effort.
- Even as we have received more boxes than ever our distribution plan in Bulgaria includes more orphanages and Roma communities than previous years. We are really excited about some of the possibilities, including: another visit to Busmansi Refugee Centre, a distribution to a women's prison where children also live due to lack of other family members to care for them and a trip for the children of Lipnitza orphanage/school to a top flight basketball game with the opportunity to play on the big court and meet the players of the Balkan team.
On Monday 6th Dec we loaded all the boxes onto the truck after a hectic three weeks of collections, sorting and packing. As ever the TT staff we given the chance to escape their offices and usual work routines to come and help fill up the truck; many have the bruises to prove it after loading over 670 large cases full of presents and clothing.
All being well a small UK team and our Bulgarian staff will meet the truck in Sofia on the 10th when the distribution of Christmas shoeboxes to some of the poorest people in Eastern Europe will begin...