The las vegas of china & jackie chan's homeland

Trip Start Aug 24, 2008
Trip End Jul 01, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Hong Kong  ,
Sunday, February 22, 2009

        When we got to Shenzhen, we figured out which bus would take us to the Ferry port. As we were waiting for the bus (let me remind you this is about 10am) a man came up to my dad and started showing him naked pictures of women on his cell phone- asking dad if he wanted a prostitute. Even after pointing to his ring and to his wife, the man continued trying to convince him. Thankfully the bus showed up shortly after. We didn't wait long to board the ferry and it only took about an hour to get to Macau. 
         Once we stepped off the boat, I pulled out my directions to the hostel and showed the address to a cab driver. He said he knew where it was. Since the directions said it would be around a specific price, we new he was taken us for a ride when the amount was triple that and we had passed the ferry port for a second time. We got out and finally found our hostel-what Lonely Planet called "charismatic" was more "dingy, paper thin walls and no ceilings." However, it served it's purpose. Nothing earplugs couldn't handle. Kara and Willie had taken a ferry over from Hong Kong to see Macau for a day so they met us at the hostel and then we started exploring. Went to acute cafe, saw a couple tourist attractions and then went to a casino! None of left rich but we had a lot of fun. They had foreign people performing singing and dance routines and it was quite amusing...sounds mean, but they reminded us of the people that get rejected from shows like American Idol. Or the ones that couldn't make it in Vegas so they moved to Macau. Regardless, we sat at the bar and watched. Our bartender's name was pronounced "Sick" so when she gave us another drink or filled up our peanut bowl we'd start chanting "Sick, Sick, Sick." She was a little embarrassed but I think she secretly loved it. Kara and Willie caught the last ferry back to Hong Kong that night and the rest of us went back to the hostel to get some sleep.
        The next morning we did a bit more exploring- walked around a beautiful park, went to a light house, and to a temple. That night we played cribbage in the hostel and laid low because we were off to Hong Kong the next day. We took a ferry to HK and then the subway took us us right to our hostel. We stayed in a very well known hostel area- tons of hostels stacked on top of each other. A bit dodgy if you aren't careful but luckily the man running the hostel we stayed in was amazing- he was very accommodating and even let use his laptop. That day we went to the art museum, walked down the avenue of stars, went to the space museum, and then went to an Irish bar next to our hostel. Dad me a guy from Bangladesh and they became bff. While mom, Jane and i were relaxing in the room, dad was throwing em back with this guy talking about politics and business matters. We went to retrieve him a couple hours later for dinner- went to a really good Spaghetti House. Afterward we went to Victoria Peak and got some great shots of the city at night.
         Mom, Dad and I got up early the next morning to bus it to the airport. They were flying standby so they weren't sure if they were actually leaving that day, but we said our sad goodbyes, and they did get on a plane back to the states. The time spent with them here was amazing. I'm really happy they were both able to come. Already miss em.
        That day Jane and I met up at a subway stop and took a bus to see the Giant Buddha. Afterward, we took a boat to Lamma Island and hiked around for a few hours. Really pretty. We liked the Spaghetti House so much the night before that we went back again and then called it a night. We quickly exchanged some money before going to bed and although i told myself to look up the exchange rates, the hostel owner said they were right so i didn't figure out that i got totally jipped until afterward. Granted it was my fault for not looking up the rates, I was still pretty upset that they ripped me off. I quickly forgot about it though because...
        The next morning we were on our way to the Philippines :)  
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: