Saturday Morning

Trip Start Dec 30, 2005
Trip End Jan 01, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Texas
Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Saturday morning was a bit cold, so we watched MX videos from the Speed Channel while waiting for things to warm up. Sander gassed up the FJR1300 and we took off. I was riding his new 1992 TDM850, a smooth running, powerful twin-cylinder street bike. We headed out FM 471 and then turned on FM 2676 toward Quihi. I took it a little easy getting used to the bike through the first sweepers and was very impressed by the bike's cornering ability. We the turned up 173 towards Bandera and passed through Historic Bandera Pass where the Hill Country begins.

It was a great ride until we entered the town of Bandera and passed a Highway Patrolman traveling the opposite direction. As we pulled up to the stoplight, I told Sander, "I'm sure glad we didn't pass him a few miles back!" He heartily agreed, and I looked in my mirrors and saw the Patrol unit approaching with his flashing lights on! After riding at speed, I felt like we were crawling into town, but according to the trooper, I was going 49 in a 35 zone. If I had known that, I would have grabbed a handful of brakes when I first saw him. As it was, I didn't even touch them.

After receiving a citation for not having proof of insurance and a warning for the speed, we parked the bikes in front of Mr. Blue's. Across Main St. was our destination, The OST Restaurant. ( By then it was 11:30 so we opted for the Mexican Buffet that was served out of a chuck wagon. We ate and talked about our return trip and I said I don't feel lucky anymore and would just as soon get back to Castroville and onto the dirt.

We did take a side trip outside of Bandera down FM470 which was twisty and scenic. After awhile, we turned around and headed back to Castroville, passing another Highway Patrolman outside of Hondo. It was New Year's Eve after all.

Not long after that, I had to pull over and find the petcock so I could put the bike on reserve. Fifteen miles later, it started starving for gas again. I got off the bike and we shook it from side to side to move the gasoline to the left side of the tank. We switched bikes at this point and I immediately noticed the engine heat and the extra weight of the mighty FJR1300. Once I located the switch to turn off the four-way flasher, I began to play with the electronically controlled wind screen.

Once back at Casa Avant, I geared up and gassed up and hit the trails. Sander was still feeling the effects of an encounter with a rock in Baja California three weeks prior, so he cleared new trails and took pictures. Marvia returned from the grocery store and rode her TTR125 up on the track while I rode the trails down by the river. Near the end of the day, Sander cleared a new trail that I just couldn't ride clean. I finally decided that this was one that I would have to take a deliberate dab and ride through with a score of one. Once I figured that out I could consistently ride it with a single dab.

I was having a great time and improving my tree-dodging skills, but we ran out of daylight too soon and had to put up the bike. Marvia cooked up a killer meal of grilled chicken breasts and after dinner we watched 'The Blues Brothers' and part of 'Animal House'. Midnight passed and we welcomed in the New Year and then crashed out so we could ride so more on Sunday.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: