The Norwegian West Coast.
Trip Start Mar 05, 2008
106Trip End Jan 11, 2009
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Arrived in Bergen about 6pm. Once again there was no hostels available for the night, so we booked the 1st night in a hotel, then the 2nd in a hostel. We received breakfast again @ the hotel, only this time it was hanging on our bedroom door (2 rounds of sandwiches, an OJ and an apple ... each!)
We purchased Bergen Cards for 24 hours. They were 190 NOK ($40 each), but once again, we made sure we got our money's worth ... 400 NOK to be exact!!!
Bergen is an old port town that has burnt down several times. Also a massive explosion in a German munitions ship caused a massive tsunami, threw loads of debris everywhere and actually caused many of the house and building foundations to shift ... thus the crooked buildings of Bryggen!
Things we did & / or saw ...
* Rode up the fenicular to the top of Mt Fl°yen (it was still 'daytime' at 10.30pm!!!)
* Bryggen's Museum (old excavations, mythical creatures & an exhibition on witches!)
* Hakon's Hall (a royal building from the 13th Century)
* Rosencrantz Tower (an old royal residence and fortified tower)
* Old Bergen Museum (like Pioneer Village again, but this time got a guided tour!)
* Bergen Maritime Museum (models of ships and old vikving ships too)
The next day we headed out on our Hardanger Fjord Tour
From Ulvik, we caught another tour bus to a town called Voss. They were in the middle of their annual Extreme Sports Week, although we didn't really see much going on. Our hostel overlooked the giant lake, which was actually nice when the weather fined up, so we got to watch a guy parasailing behind a boat for most of that night (The sun still doesn't set until about midnight!)
When we got up the weather was absolutely beautiful (would have been awesome in Eidsfjord!), but we had already decided to go back to Oslo. Caught the train back and .... it broke down!!! Stuck on the tracks for an extra 90 minutes, but we eventually got there!