Big dorm to big bugs

Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Tuesday, December 7, 2010

  Noosa Noosa gorgeous Noosa, finally we've made it to a really beautiful town with stunning natural landscape, designer boutiques and a tropical rainforest. It’s like a mini Marbella without the marina and for a small town it has a ridiculous amount of roundabouts, all the more for getting us lost!  When we left Brisbane it was raining and as we pulled up into Noosa Heads bus station is was glorious sun, so we donned our shorts/bikini and had a walk about. We walked along the boardwalk which runs by the beach, we both decided we would drop anchor and stay here for 5 nights.

We were very excited about checking into our 16 bed dorm...NOT.  But surprisingly enough it was clean with en-suite and of course full of people....everywhere. It wasn’t a dorm, it was a small village.  The thing that always makes us laugh it the amount of stuff girls have (except me of course) and they spread it everywhere.  I literally couldn’t climb into my upper bunk because of 'stuff’ everywhere.  Justin can’t get over all the girls underwear just lying all over the ground.  He’s been told not to touch! 

We did manage to sleep really well and there wasn’t too much commotion, so spent most of that afternoon on the beach messing about in the surf and when Justin got too hot we walked through a small forest by the beach and to the next area in the town Noosaville, but it was so hot we caught the bus back.  It’s really odd we can’t walk for too long with the heat, I’m sure Justin started to melt that day, so I brought him back to life with an ice cream.  We booked to visit Steve Irwin Australia Zoo the following day so we had an early night in preparation for an early start.

We were picked up from Noosa Heads by the Zoo on a free bus, it took just over an hour to get there and on the way they played a DVD all about Steve Irwin and all the crocs he caught what he named them and a short history off this zoo which was his parents until he took over.  It is one of Queensland’s most popular attractions sadly made more popular by Steve’s death.  Best known as The Crocodile Hunter he took over the zoo from his parents until he was killed filming a wildlife documentary ‘Oceans Deadliest’, he was stabbed through the heart by a stingray’s barb.  The irony is that he fought some of the world’s most deadly animals and was killed by a stingray, it’s a chance that it stabbed him let alone that it hit his heart.  Never the less his message is loud and clear throughout the whole Zoo ‘We must conserve our wildlife’.

What’s great about this Zoo is that it is very interactive and as you walk around there are staff holding birds, lizards for you to photograph and all the enclosures have reasonable low fencing so you can really see the animals.  I was like a child in a sweet shop not knowing which way to turn first until Justin set a route for us so we could see all the shows and animals.  We saw the giant tortoises wander around eating branches, huge things.  Then we fed some Asian elephants some fruit which was great fun.  We watched a croc show at the crocoseum which was amazing, the keepers fed the crocs meat to show how fast they snap and how sharp their teeth are, they walked around the enclosure with them it was real nail biting stuff.  Just when we thought the show was over when birds of prey started flying through the crocoseum.  We also saw wombats, coyotes, otters, poisonous snakes, pythons and of course kangaroos.   The kangaroo enclosure was open to us so we bought a bag of seed and walked about as the kangaroos and wallabies hopped over to us for some food, we lay on the grass next to them it truly was amazing that we were so close.  Just as we were leaving we saw a kangaroo with a joey in its pouch, it looked really weird as this little leg was sticking out. We saw all the crocs Steve had caught on his documentary ‘Crocodile Hunter’ and after seeing the dvd on the bus of him catching them it was super great to see then in their enclosures. The highlight of the day had to be hugging a koala, it was up there with swimming with dolphins, he just clung on and snuggled in as the lady took my picture, I honestly didn’t want to let go, shame my bag wasn’t big enough!  They are great animals most of the time we spent next to them in the trees they just slept occasionally lifting their heads to look about then back asleep again.  The zoo has a state-of-the-art hospital on site too, but we didn’t get time to visit. Steve’s influence is all over the zoo, the staff talk about him in their shows and all the crocs are now safe from the hunters, it was quite sad that people are carrying on his good work and not him.  We were tired when we arrived back in Noosa after walking/running around all day.

We have been in Australia 4 weeks now and we just can’t seem to get in the Christmas mood, when I think about all the excitement back home it’s quite sad that they are missing out on it here.  Every city has a Christmas tree but that’s it, there is no excitement, no "Merry Christmas" when you leave a shop.  I have decided just to forget about it as it only makes me miss it, and of course they have the sun here  so that makes it easy to forget.

The following day we decided to get up and take a walk in the bush, we walked along a costal route to Tea Tree Bay where we got great views back on Noosa beach, it stretched to Boiling Pot and on to Dolphin Bay (no sightings), what’s great is there were hardly any people about because it’s so hot they are all basking on the beach like sea lions.  We headed into Noosa National Park bush land where we saw so many beasties, lizards running over the path in front of us, spiders hanging from trees, birds and of course many noises coming from the bush god only knows what they are!  What’s really funny is that I surprisingly just take them in my stride and Justin jumps about like a maniac when something flies at him, it’s so funny.  I’ll say “What’s wrong” and he will reply “A big thing flew at me” every time.  It was the point that we were running out of water that we realised that’s why people don’t come in here on a hot day, we made it back to the car park just in time to refill our bottles and for Justin to do some extra jumping about....”It’s a big thing flew at me” “Did you see it? Did you see it?”......typical man exaggerating how big a small thing is!

That evening it was time for us to leave our village, which at this point had turned into a German village, yes that’s right we were the only English people in the room and obviously we didn’t speak of football.  We did feel like the minority, so we booked our bus out for the following day heading Germanless to Hervey Bay.

Oh by the way does anyone know the best way to get a koala through customs?
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: