Causing a scene in Dunedin

Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  , South Island,
Monday, October 25, 2010

  Dunedin is a fairly large town and as we drove through it to find accommodation we were quite surprised at the scale of it, it is more like a city. We got a great deal on a hostel for 3 nights, which would give us plenty of time to see and do what we needed to.  The dorm we were in had three bunk beds but the bottom bunk was a double bed so we made sure we reserved that one for later.  The weather was good so we drove over to Otago peninsular, it gave us great views back over Dunedin and the road was hugging the coastline which was so beautiful.  There is a street in Dunedin called Baldwin Street which is they steepest street in the world, so we just had to visit it and when we saw how steep it is we decided not to try and drive Tony up it.  However we did walk a little way up, well I did, Justin decided to walk half way up and run the other half, to which two girls walking down called him a show off and asked if he belonged to me, I took full responsibility for him.  Just when we were about to leave we saw a camper van reving at the bottom and full throttle headed up the street, it was so funny to watch but he did get to the top eventually, on the way back down we waved and he started tooting his horn laughing.  I guess the residence must get used to this tom foolery every day.   Day two we had great plans we were going to go to the museum and the botanical gardens, We started with the train station which is the oldest in New Zealand then when we got to the museum it was closed, this is where it all went wrong, we passed a food hall which smelt of curry so we were quick to walk in and we ended up having a curry, rice and a nan bread for $14 about seven pounds, it was great! We then decided we would try and get a refund on our third night at the hostel and use that money to visit Speights Brewery.  I told the reception guy we had to go back to Wellington to get an emergency passport early the following day so he gave us our money back. With that in hand we crossed the road to the Speights brewery, the tour this took about an hour and the Jane showed us round the full brewery she was really funny and kept us laughing the whole time, she told us the history of Speights.  I will be honest and admit that the best bit was the end where we all got to taste all the ales in a little bar, by the end Jane just let us pull our own drinks, we had so much fun when we left the brewery we went straight in the pub next door to take our tastings to another level.  What a great afternoon!
When we got back to the hostel we went in the room and it stank, so I went off saying how disgusting the smell was and how can't some people wash it's not difficult, Justin then joined in calling our roomies smelly, until he started laughing pointing at the spare bed, which now had someone lying in it sleeping.  I don't think he heard, but what did we care we were leaving in the morning.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: