Oh La La La Paz

Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Bolivia  ,
Friday, July 30, 2010

We arrived in La Paz (the worlds most highest city) about 6am after an all night bus, the City looks amazing on the drive in, it sits in a valley surrounded by mountains some snow capped, some not.  We got a taxi pretty easy and nicely ripped off too we realisded after a few days.  I was so tired and just wanted to get into bed as I was still full of cold.  so we checked into a hostel which had the best hot showers on the whole trip....ahhhhh!  It was an Irish run hostel so it had a great bar that served beans on toast, corn flakes and pg tips so we were quick to indulge.  I went straight to bed with some beechams for a couple of hours.  We had read in lonely planet that there is an English run Indian Restaurant  ( Star of India) so we headed up there on the night to indulge more 8/10 nan breads were a bit small!

The City is so busy people everywhere, Bolivian women every 50 yards selling the same things, and small mini buses with people shouting at you to take their bus up to the market etc.  It does feel good to be in a city again and especially a one that has lots to offer travelers, there is so much to see and do we spent most of the day planning, we booked to fly to Rurrenbaque for a 3 day jungle trek in Las Pampas for tomorrow. Once we got that booked we headed out into the centre to look about and there was a huge dance festival which takes place every year, the streets were closed off and people from all over Bolivia come here to dress up and dance their way through the streets.  It was a great atmosphere with fireworks going off.  We bumped into a couple of friends, so had a beer with the and shared our future routes, then as expected an early night to try and shake my cold  and pack for the jungle. Once we had packed out jungle bags we spent a fair bit time sorting out paperwork...sounds like Im at work again! Insurance claim form, new passport form etc. We headed off to the airport to catch our flight to Rurrenbaque about 4pm and when we got there the lady checked us in and because I hate flying and it is only a 20 seater I thought it would be a good idea to get a little drunk before, so we headed off to the bar for some beers, a couple of beers later we checked the board and the flight still didn't say boarding so we checked at the information desk and she said they weather was windy, then 20 mins later they will know more at 6pm...20 mins later oh its cancelled! we got chatting with a group of guys from Chili and they were fighting their rights to some money back to pay for taxi back into La Paz or towards a hostel, so we all stuck together in our battle for money we ended up walking away with 50 bolivianos (5pound) and a re-booked flight for 6am the following day, 2 hours later all with a beer head.  We got a taxi back into La Paz and booked in a hostel for the night and crashed in preparation for our early flight.
Back at the airport at 5am checked in and waiting anxiously as our jungle trip started at 8.30am so it was all a bit tight.  We met the guys and was pleased that we all made it on the plane...at last!  Then the total stress kicked in that I was climbing on a 20 seater plane to which you couldn't stand up straight on and of course when you hate flying like me the fear set in, to which I may add Justin thought was hilarious and started taking photos of my unimpressed face.
Then off we went up up and away......
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: