Business trip part 2

Trip Start May 03, 2011
Trip End Jan 31, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Zambia  , North-Western,
Friday, November 4, 2011

Hours and hours on dusty bumpy roads led us to the town called Lukulu. A little bit outside Lukulu we only had to cross the Zambezi river and continue our way to our final destination. It was good that we had a 4x4 because some parts of the roads were terrible and only passable by a proper vehicle. When we arrived in Zambezi we met with Chieftainess Nyakulenga, a woman chief who owns the area where the mine is. This lady gets a lot of respect and everybody who talks to her has to kneel, her (grown up) sons and even people who are 70 years old have to pay respect in this way. On this arrival day we talked with several people and made a plan to get the most out of our trip. We had a few problems namely that 2 trucks with copper ore from the mine where stuck halfway between the mine and Zambezi. This is a very bad road which is about 75 km's long so enough opportunity to get stuck.  

The day after our arrival we arranged tipper trucks to pull our trucks out and get the material safe to Zambezi. We visited the place where the trucks got stuck and it looked bad. Went to the palace where the Chieftainess and her husband live along the road to the mine. Eventually I saw my first mine there and got a feel for what’s going on. I pictured a mine as huge caves where a lot of people try to get the minerals out. This mine was however in it’s infancy and was just 2 holes in the ground (mine pits) where 30 guys were digging, picking to get proper material. Got a look at the copper ore, gold and cobalt. Quite amazing that all these materials just lie there under the ground. Talked to the people at the mine and the mine camp and made an inventory of what was needed. After all this we moved back to Zambezi for some Nschima (aka Ugali/ pap).

Because we couldn’t arrange everything in 3 days somebody has to stay to sort things out. Ofcourse that was Jorg (or Mr. J how I am called often J). I stayed for a week to make sure the trucks got out, arrange transportation of the material to Ndola (800 km away), look for a storage location in Zambezi town, creating 3 presentations for buyers and partners, fixing documents such as police clearance, etc.. I didn’t have a car so I walked a lot in these week which also resulted in a lot of eager Zambians who would like to work for me. I am the only white man in town who is arranging things and buying equipment so people see an opportunity to make money.

After a very busy week where I worked every day sometimes starting at 4 am and finishing at 11 pm and also working on Sunday I could go back to Lusaka, home. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: