Another new experience!

Trip Start Jun 12, 2007
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , New York
Saturday, April 11, 2009

We realised it would be prudent to leave home early today with it being good Friday, the usual bank holiday traffic was bound to stack up on the roads, so we left home with plenty of time to spare - or so we thought. We ended up on the M25 - stationary and we started to get really worried that we would miss our flight.

Thankfully we arrived in time, checked our bag in and boarded our flight.

Most of the flight was pretty uneventful until just before landing when there was a really loud bang in our cabin and a flare of light exploded and arced right across the cabin two rows in front of us - it caused quite a commotion and people were questioning what the hell happened. A member of cabin crew was actually stood there when it happened and she quickly disappeared. It totally frightened the life outta me, I am not a particularly good flier as it is and my heart was in my mouth. A few minutes later the cabin crew lady reappeared saying "it's okay, I've just spoken to the captain and he said that we got struck by lightening"!!!!! 'It's okay' and 'we got struck by lightening' didn't really seem to go in the same sentence to me, but there you go. Just prior to the lightening strike, we had been told that it would be 40 minutes till we would be allowed to land due to delays - then we got hit by the lightening and suddenly we were being told we were landing - there were a lot of worried people in that cabin, I can tell you. I've never come in so hard and fast to land - and with the really hard bang and the ensuing speed and skidding of the aircraft when it landed, me and John were not convinced that the lightening hadn't done some sort of damage to the plane. It's done nothing at all to make me feel any better about flying unfortunately.

Outside JFK airport we grab a taxi and head to Manhattan. By the time we reached our hotel it was 8pm which was 1am UK time and we were really tired, so we weren't best pleased to be informed that there were no rooms available for another 2 hours. We left our bag in the storage, took a look around and went for hot chocolate. Eventually at 10pm (3am UK time) we got a room. We unpacked and went to bed.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


starlagurl on

That is SO SCARY! Glad you're safe.


travelmonster on

Re: Whoah!!!
I know, its made my fear of flying much worse!!!

kitkatgo on

Holy Cow!
How scary! EEEEeeeeeeek!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: