Dial W for Walking

Trip Start Dec 21, 2009
Trip End Jul 17, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Chile  , Patagonia,
Sunday, March 21, 2010

For all who have despaired, the blog is still alive. A combination of circumstances have led to a very late blog update but hopefully we can breathe some life back into this thing. The last blog left us watching ice crack off a glacier face, celebrating my 30th birthday and about to head for the trek of our lives.

We left El Calafate heading towards the Parque Nacional Torres del Paine in Chile, unsure of whether we would be doing the famous W Trek. The W Trek is famous amongst trekkers, so named because the 4 day route sees you making a W shape through the region. It promises spectacular views and varied trekking so we thought we'd sign up for it as a few of our truck members were already down for the challenge. You could do the W Trek by staying in the refugios along the way, paying for a bed and the meals which is not cheap, or you could hire all of your camping gear, cooking gear and carry all of your food along with you. We opted for the latter, which made the trek harder but more of a challenge. In all, 7 of us set out across the lake from the camp ground our truck was parked at and caught the ferry over to Camping Pehoe. There the adventure would begin and boy was it an adventure.

Day 1

Arrive at Camping Pehoe just after noon. Set up tents, stow away our bags and have lunch. Start the hike to check out Grey Glacier. Some stunning views of the glacier and plenty of pictures before we headed back to the campsite. Celebrated my birthday (this was the actual date of my birthday) with a few beers and much mutual admiration for what great trekkers we were.

A few beers and a couple of stories into the celebration one of our fellow trekkers came over and asked us for some help. One of their group had passed out and was on a stretcher and half way on a trail, the rest of the group were getting tired and they needed some reinforcements. Cue the A-Team music, we did what anyone else would have done. We sculled our beers and went in search for the invalid (it made sense, the beers would have been warm upon our return and that’s no way for heroes to be greeted, is it?). We found the group a few clicks down the trail and picked up the slack. We had the stretcher in the middle and guys either side of the stretcher board. This meant that we were 3 people wide on a track that was wide enough for 1 person to walk. That made for plenty of scratches, curses and much scrambling but we got there eventually. The girls had already started dinner so we went into the kitchen area and ate. Nicole had fashioned up a Snicker’s cake for my birthday and we had a great old time celebrating. (for weight reasons, the cake was just a Snickers bar but it went down all the sweeter after a long day). Knackered, we packed it in for what we thought would be an uneventful night’s sleep.

Nic and I were sharing a 2 man tent. Two girls (Laura and Sarah) were sharing a two man tent. The boys (Theo, James and Ted) were sharing a 3 man tent. Early on, we discovered that the zipper to the boys’ tent flap was broken. Not that big a deal unless you’re camping in windy and freezing conditions like we were. Of course it had to happen on day 1. The girls had a visitor during the night. A mouse had chewed through their tent and through their bags to eat some chocolate bars that they had. Not satisfied with the chocolate, it proceeded to run across Laura’s face and Sarah’s arm before vanishing into the night. Needless to say there was much cursing that followed. The next morning, James awoke to find that his hydration bladder (the ones that you put in your backpack so that you can drink through a tube) was chewed through by a mouse. We guess that the little bugger needed something to wash down the chocolate bar. Another casualty at the hands of vermin.

Day 2

Assessed the damage to our gear and morale, packed our tents in the rain and headed off for Campomiento Italiano. A word to the wise, before lugging some 16+ kilos of camping gear, clothes and food for 3 or so hours, make sure that your packs are fitted well. Our whole group paid dearly for this rookie error. Towards the end of this little trek, our backs were on fire and our morale was starting to flag. We built one tent and put our packs in there so that we could head to Mirador Frances unencumbered.

On our way there, Ted re-aggravated a knee injury and this particular trek never seemed to end. To see Ted do most of the trek with one leg was something else. Think two hobbits, trek to Mordor and a very long third book by Tolkien you get the mood. We still had a heap of walking to do with our packs to the next camp site so we, went to a viewpoint of the Mirador a little closer than we originally planned, then made our way back to Campomiento Italiano. Lucky we turned around when we did because half way back to the camp, we got to see an avalanche. Not everyday that you get to experience that. The sound was thunderous and awesome.

We got back to the camp, everyone re-configured their backpacks and we made our way to Campoiento Las Cuemos. It was a long and silent trek, but for James at the back who kept our morale up by quoting (and trying to remember) lines from Braveheart and singing the theme song to the A-Team. We got there eventually but late as most of the good camping spots were taken. We had to settle for a mozzie infested section (I didn’t think the mozzies liked the cold but apparently they do) and got to setting up our tent. Tired, we all cooked our dinner and retired to bed, after tying our food to trees so that the mice couldn’t get to it. That seemed to be what everyone else was doing so we thought it prudent to follow suit.

Day 3

We awake to find that the mice are more agile than we think and they have managed to find the Hershey’s chocolate that Nicole was saving for a special occasion (they had to go for the expensive stuff), cereal and some UHT milk that we brought with us. We promptly broke camp and were having our breakfast when a psychotic lady with a North American accent came by , checked our feet and asked us if we had her shoes (her tone was quite accusatory and very annoying). Apparently someone had stolen her shoes and she was left stranded in the middle of nowhere and miles from civilisation with no shoes to leave. Most groups were leaving the campsite so the odds of finding her shoes were getting slimmer by the minute. We ate our breakfast quickly and got out of dodge before crazy shoe lady came back.

The sun was out, the mood of the group was good and we made good time as we trekked through some open plains. We still had daylight left so we kept going over to Campomiento Torres to set up camp, leaving us a much shorter trek in the morning. The walk was interesting as we started walking alongside a deep ravine with a long drop on one side (into the ravine) and rocks on the other side which looked ominously like what landsides are made of. We also had blustery winds coming down the ravine. With backpacks like parachutes, negotiating the wind on this walk was something else.

We got to the campsite unscathed and happy that we would only be left a 45 minute hike to the top to see Torres del Paine, the three granite towers that the park is known for. The usual, set up camp, get to dinner and then off to bed.

Day 4

We wake up and get some breakfast in. We lock our tents and start the hike up to the top which we do in quick time. The three towers are stunning and we feel a real sense of accomplishment. I am so proud of our group because we stuck together from the beginning. Throughout the entire walk, we only ever saw groups of trekkers in the twos and threes, maybe the odd 4 but never 7 strong. We had a couple of injuries, some low moments but we got to the end. 4 days of hardcore trekking without a shower certainly galvanizes a group. Together, we covered 82kms in just under 4 days and I consider that a pretty good test of endurance.

You can see in the last picture, the map of the Torres del Paine National Park and the ground that we covered. The blue line is what we covered on day 1, the red line is what we covered on day 2, the black line on day 3 and the purple line on day 4. The circles are where we made camp for the night. Sorry if the lines are a little hard to see but its the best I could do with what I've got.

All that was left was a trek back down to our meeting point along the river (where the steep and windy ravine was) and we would be done. Our packs were lighter (because of the consumed food) and we were heading home (by home I mean the possibility of a warm shower and a tent that is roomier).

We arrived at our meet point which was the Hotel Las Torres and crashed out on their comfy lawn in the sunshine. Beers were consumed, trekking shoes were ditched and we even got some shut eye.

We got back to camp to find that our leaders had organised a full roast lamb, which had been cooking for hours and was timed to perfection. We ate lamb, had more lamb, then had a little more lamb before having a few beers and re-living a tough couple of days. A victory cigar later and we were off to bed.

Join us in our next blog as we turn the corner at the southernmost city in the world and start heading northwards into warmer climes.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Lara on

Such amazing adventures and photos! Love getting the updates! x

travellingtans on

Thanks Lara. Glad you're enjoying the blogs. :-)

You guys should be on your adventure now right??

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: