Back to the Routine

Trip Start May 04, 2011
Trip End Feb 20, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Block C
What I did
Taking life 1 day at a time

Flag of Ghana  , Eastern,
Sunday, October 30, 2011

The internet connections (both work and personal) are intolerably slow or just not functioning today and that is driving me nuts. I realise I am in the middle of West Africa, but this service is so unreliable and chooses randomly when it will function or not – at least work on a Sunday when I have down-time to do personal internet stuff. The skype call to mum this morning was interrupted every 5 mins, but we managed and had a great chat. This swing I have made a personal commitment to be more patient with Ghanaian timeframes and standards, but I guess this internet rant has failed me. I'll keep trying...

Now that I’ve vented my return to Ghana was smooth. Actually this time I have not felt any effects of the time difference from Sth America to here and I had no problem of getting into a normal sleep pattern. Having only 2 work days until my 14 hr Sunday sleep-fest helped. My cold has gone, finally.

The week was ok. I’ve now moved office up to the construction site admin building and I actually like it much more than the isolated office building I was in before. This is much more social and I’m able to contribute more in a work-sense, but getting to and from camp requires catching a bus or hitching a ride (I don’t have a dedicated vehicle). Plus, the power doesn’t go out every arvo cause we are connected to a generator. Yay. [however the power goes out frequently here at camp – this afternoon it has gone out and on 6 times already...storm must be coming]. At the new admin building, I am quite amused by the constant cleaning. It seems there are as many cleaners as there are office staff and they stay around all day sweeping the floors. And to get access to site, there is now fingerprint scanning...bit high-tech and OTT (over the top). There are a few new faces that have started in the last few weeks and that is good; keeps life interesting.

Last night (Saturday) there was a 'party’ at the contractor’s accommodation compound. Good to get out of camp and mingle with different set of people than the usual faces. Others all kicked on and probably had a big night, but I bussed back to camp about hangovers for me! Best thing about last night was that no Ghanaian music was played. I like African music, but only when u can see Zebra and Lion’s and feel like it is adding to the ambience, but I can’t stand it when played at 120db in a pub or bar.

So, I am returning home to Perth for my next break. First time since I started here full-time in May. Very much looking forward to that. Just need to confirm flights and deets and begin the countdown! I have a list the length of my arm of stuff I need/want to do, including maybe buying the new iPhone which would mean succumbing to the evil of Apple. Although I might avoid swimming at the beach...what’s with all the shark attacks of late.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: