Gastown and one last opportunity to shop

Trip Start Sep 09, 2010
Trip End Sep 24, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , British Columbia,
Friday, September 24, 2010

Mom and dad took the day off and we headed downtown in the morning after I made a few complex calculations to determine the most space-efficient way to pack my suitcase.

Once that was taken care of we went directly to Pacific Centre mall to check out the Apple Store. There was a short line of people just outside the store that we noticed once we were inside. We started to wonder if we had to wait in line to play in the store but it turns out they were in line for the iPhone 4, and they probably wouldn't get one. Apparently people have to line up overnight to get whatever phones the store is allowed to release the next day. They go quickly and the late morning waiters are just hoping more will turn up in the afternoon. Yikes! So, I guess I'm not getting an iPhone 4 then. I looked at the 3GS to replace my stolen one but Apple have made some changes to protect their monopolistic empire and now only offer the 3GS in 8GB (mine was 32GB) and only in black. I understand this option might compel me to buy a 4 instead, because there is only a couple hundred dollars' difference between the two - if only there was an iPhone 4 available for me to choose. Instead Apple just lost this customer.

Blackberry also proved a disappointment to me today. Their Torch is supposed to be launched today in Canada (having already been available in the US for like, ever) but they pushed the launch date back in order to meet the demands of the US market. Thank you, RIM. So, I will go home without any new phone at all.

We left the mall and headed to Gastown, the starting place of Vancouver. We checked out the steam clock then headed directly across the street to Starbucks. Warmed and refreshed, we hit a few shops and I finally got myself a nice carry-on suitcase from Nood, a super fun home store.

Next stop was to see Gassy Jack before heading in the opposite direction to see the unlit Olympic torch. At that point it was time to go back to the parents' house to really finish packing and load the car with our very heavy suitcases. We used the scale to check our luggage wasn't overweight but somehow mine was 1kg over and the other right at the max so we repacked the carry-ons to take some weight out of the checked luggage. Finally we were both about 1/2 kg under on the house scale and we decided that would have to do. We also got to say goodbye to Keenan then because he was home from school.

We met Ally, Erik and River for a late lunch/early dinner at the Cactus Club which was delicious. Then it was time to say goodbye to my adorable new nephew, not to mention his parents. Mom and dad drove us to the airport and ditched us on the curb outside. We approached the bag drop scales with caution but we just made it with 2kg to spare according to their scales. Happy, we sauntered through the security lineup only to be stopped for a search of a carry on bag. There were a lot of things crammed into it and they were all tossed out in the search for something sharp. It turns out it was a potato peeler I had put in there last night after we visited my storage unit.

They confiscated the peeler but the wine bottle opener and the can opener both passed the checkpoint. The gal at security repacked the case and it was a mess so we repacked it at the gate. Now we are just waiting for boarding. We will arrive tomorrow afternoon and be reunited with Lincoln!
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: