Trip Start Dec 14, 2009
Trip End Mar 25, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Guatemala  , Western Highlands,
Monday, January 4, 2010

Had some good hours of sleep, I even managed to get away yesterday with only checking my bed twice, which is an improvement from previous places. I'm forcing myself to get over my stupid fobia, or at least trying not to make it an obsession, which is what it could be...

Got up today, but headed out late due to some personal issues that needed to be sorted out... Around 1030 I finally was ready... Frist stop post office where I got to send home another package. I think I should wait a bit longer before I send stuff home, because from what I understand it's the first kilo that is expensive and after it gets much cheaper. I paid 164 quicales, and for a package of 1 kg it would be around 188... And I don't think my package was more than 0.5kg.... Anyyyyway.... After walking back to my hostel (because I forgot the money) and having the package sent I went looking for a hairdresser. I wanted to get rid of my hair exstensions... It's either doing it here or waiting until I'm in austalia, so I took my chance of doing it here. 2 hours later with a loooot of pain I finally was done. And I must say that my hair is pretty awfull;( ;( it's sooo thin now, it was thin from before, but now it's even worse... I know it will grow out again, but my hair is my thing;( but I have to be patient...

Was finished at the hairdresser about 15 min before the depature of my volcano tour, had to run back, get my backpack packed, buy some sandwiches (which made us 10min late...shouldn't believe that time is that important here, but is was...) and get into the 1 hr drive to Pacaya!

Finally there I really had no idea what it involved... But it was a 2 hour long hike up pretty steep hills. I thought I was getting in pretty good shape when thinking about all the runs I've done the last 3 weeks (I guess without the runs it would have been 10 times worse).. Was interesting, we had guys following us on horses offering them as taxis. I was determine that I would make it to the top on my own horse powers and wouldn't give in. Even though it was VERY tempting... But I made it, 2 hours later with burning tie, ass and calf muscles I was on the top, and it was all forgotten when I saw the lava coming out of nowhere. It was amazing seeing the lava and incredible that something so hot can come out of the earth! Couldn't get much closer than ~2m because it was sooo hot! Very intersting.... Took a lot of pictures and it was time to head down.

I actually found it worse going down than up. Because I defently didn't have the right shoe wear, my running shoes wasn't doing a good job. After the first flat part I stopped and let a girl goig up pass me, and I said made a comment that it wasn't much longer. I turned around and was getting ready to walk and not sure what happened but I must have misplaced my foot, because I fell over into the sharp lava stones and ended up with pretty bad cuts... Luckely it was only on my leg and luckely I had my first aid kit with me because I was bleeding pretty badly... Cleaned up, or as clean as I could get it in a rush we continued down. It was horrible walking down because it was sooo "slippery" with all the sand and stones. I almost fell over several times more. The hike down was about 15 min shorter, and in the dark. It was ok, and luckely my wounds weren't too painful.

Well back down I got myself a bee and a snickers. I was about to go into the van when there were two kids standig at the door. One asked for quincales when the other asked for dollars. And just as I was to step into the van the dollar kid said to me in Spanish that the driver didn't allow beer in the want pointing at my beer. I got a bit angry and turned around and said in English that I was defently not giving my beer to him. I would guessimate that he was around 10 or something.... How ruuuude!!!

Well back at the hostel I wanted to have a warm shower, but no hot water. And I was starving, but too tired to be bothered to go out looking for food. So I ended up with eating a package of rasins and going to sleep.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: