Weird German Town

Trip Start Sep 15, 2009
Trip End Nov 21, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
A-Frame Huts

Flag of Namibia  ,
Monday, November 9, 2009

We arrived after an 8 hour or so drive into the city of Swakopmund and were given the talk by the activities lady and I decided to go with the quad biking on the sand dunes and fishing.  We thought it was deep sea fishing but it turned out that it wasn’t deep sea but just along the coast.  The activities also included skydiving, sand boarding, horse riding, and a few other lame ones.  I picked quad biking over sand boarding because who wants to climb sand dunes when you can ride up them on a quad.  Afterward we checked into our a-frame huts for the next three nights and were split into two groups.  We had a girls and a boys hut but one of the girls had to be with us because she had a boyfriend.  I went for a quick run around the city since it had been a few days and quickly noticed what an odd place the city was.  It looked like a nice beach town with freshly painted houses but something was different.  For one thing it was summer time for them but there was a chill in the air.  The streets are very quite and appear to be deserted except for the occasional white person driving a truck or SUV.  The majority of the houses had fences and even some with electrified fences that were pretty tall.  Some houses had big signs on the outside warning of a guard dog and right behind them actually was that big old guard dog.  I was running past a fence that was a bit low to have two dogs inside but two big ol’ German shepherds ran next to me barking up a storm.  It’s a good thing they didn’t jump the low fence because I would have had a hell of a time with them.  The town was actually colonized by Germans and you can really tell.  You can really tell a big difference between rich and poor here.  Which really means white and black.  The white people around here look like some mean depressed German people that are pissed off at something.  -We had reservations for dinner at a restaurant that served game meat.  We walked there and arrived at what looked like and smelled like an Italian restaurant but actually served game meat too.  They had a few different kinds of game meat to include kudu, springbok, and oryx.  We had already eaten kudu previously so I opted to go for an oryx and springbok stir-fry.  Oryx and springbok are a variety of deer and the oryx is actually a very beautiful animal with its white and black stripes and big horns on his head.  It’s just too bad I would rather see him on my plate cooked medium than out in the wild.  The meat was pretty tasty but a bit spicy since they put pepper sauce on the meat which I wasn’t a real fan of..  I had a bite of someone’s oryx steak and it was really tasty.  It’s pretty funny how the same day on our drive in we saw the exact same types of animals that we were now eating.  Man I love meat!!!  After the really tasty food and sub-par service, a few of us headed out to probably one of the best bars in this strange town which really isn’t hard to do here.   We went right next door and hung out playing pool, talking, and drinking until late at night.  Something funny throughout the night, one of the girls liked some guy that we played pool with and we were trying to see if he was gay or not.  One of the guys with us was testing him out and at the end of the night we got our answer.  When saying goodbye, the guy did one of those touches to the inside thigh of our guy and hardly said a word to the girl who liked him.  He was gay and not interested in her.  

Day #2

I was woken up at 8am because everyone else in my group was going sand boarding and I couldn’t get back to sleep afterwards for some reason despite my repeated attempts.  I woke up feeling like real crap since the previous night was a little too fun and I never drink wine.  I moped around for a bit and then finally headed out to find some internet.  I found a shopping center that had an internet café and I went to town for two hours.  It may be my internet addiction or my OCD, but it always feels good to get some emails written and also to check some world events going on.  Whenever we stop to go shopping for food, I always check the magazine or newspaper section for The Economist or the NY Times but to no avail.  The Economist is available sometimes but not recently. It kind of feels good to be cut off from the world but at times I miss it.  I enjoy reading and watching about world events and I hate to be behind on major events in the world that may affect me later down the road.  I ate my left-over game stir-fry for lunch and waited until 2:30 for my pick-up for the quad bike activity.  There were four of us going and we had the choice of three different bikes.  Full-auto, semi-auto, or a manual bike to choose from.  I have ridden a quad before but it’s been a while.  I chose the semi-auto since it had more power.  There was a group of 10 or so of us and we basically split up into the fast and slow groups..  I naturally chose the fast group and there was three of us basically chasing the guide for an hour in the sand dunes.  Let me tell you, this was so freakin’ cool and I had the best time!  I thought it was just so amazing riding up and down these big huge sand dunes at crazy fast speeds.  We hit these sand dune banks and then back down again.  If you went to slowly I would imagine you could roll over but as long as you had enough speed, you were glued to the dune.  It was also cool to come to the top of the dune and just see sand dunes for as far as the eye could see.  Occasionally you could see the ocean as well.  We stopped for a break and then rode again for another hour.  I don’t know why but the whole time I was in pure ecstasy.  Maybe the excitement of the ride cleared my hangover, thinking back of all the great things that have happened in Africa thus far, but I was in pure heaven.  I was also thinking how this was the best vacation I have probably ever had.  No stress, no worries, and high excitement have made it a great trip.  I was thinking how I never wanted the quad bike ride to end but it did.  Afterwards I showered up and a few of us decided to go back to the same restaurant for the game meat but I decided to eat Lasagna instead. 

Day #3

I woke up tired but in pretty good spirits.  Nick and Rasmus and I were going fishing and were being picked up at 8:15.  We met our guide who had the boat hitched to the back of his jeep and we set off to the boat launch.  The boat was a 23-footer named Playboy and it had some big twin motors in the back.  We set off for the coast of the city and put our reels out.  We had good sized fishing poles and were using live bait to catch fish.  We were fishing for something that I didn’t really know but we only caught catfish because that was the only thing that was biting.  We basically spent the next four hours hopping around and pulling up 25 or so catfish and only two of the fish we were actually trying to get.  But they were too small so we threw them back.  We got back after lunch and I just set off by myself again to the internet café and did my thing as usual with two cappuccino’s this time which was nice but my nerves were hurting later for it.  I made reservations for a sushi dinner and made my way back to the huts.  I worked out for a bit since its been awhile and barely finished my routine because I was hurting from minimal sleep.  The sushi dinner was actually pretty good and a nice closer to the great time we had in Swak.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: