Unfinished business at Rhayader Lakes

Trip Start Sep 13, 2007
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  ,
Monday, September 24, 2007

This was a day of unfinished business at Elan Village and those dams. The day was tightly structured; first get to Aberystwyth and take the A44 to the Devil's Bridge. Then take the mountain road to the dams whilst taking the pictures I should have done the day before. Then walk to the furthest dam, which was about a 7 mile round trip.
Well the first thing that went astray was that I spotted a wind farm and decided to investigate. As you can see I got very close to doing a lot more than just investigating. The rain over the last few days has done wonders for the dams though. The first one I came across was difficult to reach due to the number of people stopping to have a look at the torrent of water flowing over. I think I got a good picture of it though.
Ploughing on through this scenic torture I eventually arrived at my parking spot and set off in search of this other dam. The walk began up a particularly steep track, which then diverted off into the forest. It was about this time the weather began to become more consistent than the advertised changeable. By this I mean it was raining all the time. No matter, I plodded on until I reached an open moor. To my left was a weather station and to my right was another track. Using my mantra I turned right and walked down a track until I reached a small wooden stake where an arrow showing which way to go would have been displayed. Somebody had thought to remove this. To my left was a small track and straight on was the carry on from the one I was currently on. So I carried on and down I went into the valley until I reached an open gate with a sign hanging off it. Hilariously it said "Private - No public right of access". My first thought was the bastards had removed the arrow at the top of the hill to annoy ramblers like me and give them the titters. Wankers.
Back up the hill I went and decided it must be the other way, so off into the moor I went. Brilliantly the track soon dissolved into bog and I wasn't about to start trying to negotiate a bog whilst it was raining. Not even I am that stupid. At this point I gave up. No damn dam was worth getting pneumonia.
On the way back through the forest my imagination started getting into gear and all manner of dark entities were stalking me. I did take a few pictures but the wind was too strong for me to hold the camera steady.
As I descended the steep track I saw to my left a small driveable track. This was the route I should have taken but it was hidden from view. What a marvellous waste of time all that was. It was time to leave and I arranged to meet the parents at the Victoria. Unfortunately the hour and a half I'd allowed wasn't enough, as two particularly rubbish drivers decided the A487 was a death trap and anything above 30 mph was Evel Kinevel country. They were even breaking on bends which weren't sharp. These are the sort of drivers which cause accidents by having no confidence and often driving too slow.
When I eventually got to the Victoria I had a pint of Dark which looked like Guinness and has been the best beer I've had all holiday. For food; the excellent vegetable soup complimented by the Vic Filler - a huge double burger with bacon. Wonderful value at 7.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: