It burrr on Bromo..

Trip Start Jan 07, 2008
Trip End Jul 22, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Indonesia  ,
Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Wow I am way behind..let's go back to the future shall we...vvroooommm!
Had a very long journey from Yogya to Gunung Bromo (volcano)...after a lovely last evening in Yogya with my dutch friend, over some beers and just chatting away.

So after a 12 hr minibus ride arrived in Cemoro Lawang, the wee town at 1800m high looking at Bromo and many other mountains and hills. I met a man Cliff (haha) on the bus and arranged to wake up at 330 am to set off for the Bromo and the sunrise (that's the thing to do there). Glad i had the company to find our way one hour in the dark down this big mountainside then cross this large flat area of lava-like dark sand, brown grass just to go up again 2400m to the top of Bromo. We made it just in time and it was lovely (and smelly from the sulphur)...oh and very cold 4 degrees. But still lovely. I stayed another night in the wee village just to walk around, take in the beauty, very easy to meet locals and eat at their true local homemade eateries. The view from the hotel was enough of a reason to stay, staring right at Gunung Bromo and Mount Bladok and a few others.

Cliff and I were leaving the same morning and our challenge was to get all the way to Denpasar (the main city in Bali) in one day. First we needed a one hr local bus from the village to Probolinggo where a main bus station was. We were told about 10 different prices and times and stories as to what time a bus left the village or how it worked. I finally just hopped on one that was leaving as we had to get going to make a 2nd bus but it worked out, even though of course they demanded more money than we agreed for the ride which they didn't get...did remind me a bit of Vietnam with everyone being sooo money hungry and lying just to get more money and not being able to go by anyone's honesty. Then at the main bus! There was no main ticket counter or info desk, just loads of different agencies selling tickets. Everyone would surround us again and again seeing money signs, just telling us what we wanted to hear with all diffferent info. And half the time the destination the bus was labelled with, wasn't right either. So after an hour of trying to figure what bus to get on before it leaves under our nose - we finally did and made the right decision, express bus with aircon, going to bali.. now that i'm writing it doesnt seem that daunting but it was! Very trying..i even needed a cool down period after my lost my cool alittle after 45mins of being lied to..luckily cliff was there and he had already lost his cool earlier...haha.

Anyways so it all worked out in the end...and was excited knowing that was my last realllly long bus ride or day of traveling, yeehaw!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: