Hong Kong Blog

Trip Start Jul 12, 2009
Trip End Aug 02, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of China  ,
Friday, July 31, 2009

Friday 31st July 2009

Our bleary eyed eyes arrived in Hong Kong at approx 5.00PM local time, Tony was feeling fresh after our 9 hour flight but Glenn, jet lag was beginning to take its toll. We caught a shuttle bus to our hotel in Kowloon and we were super impressed by the level of service we received on our arrival. We showered and decided that despite our need for more sleep that we would set out to explore the local sites and endure the massive humidity that confronted us.

We decided to sample the local cuisine and after going up some dodgy stairway we found ourselves at an "entrance" to a local Chinese restaurant where our host quickly ushered us in and sat us at a special window seat. The restaurant would sit 150 people and it had a staff to serve that many, the only thing was we were there only customers and therefore we received overwhelming attention. We ordered and ate as six waitresses access our chopstick ability but we were happy to report that this was one of the best meals we had experienced on our journey and certainly the best value for money.

We returned to the oppressive humidity and headed towards the harbor where we took in for the first time he magnificent night landscape that was before us being the city of Hong Kong. We walked down the equivalent of Hollywood's boulevard if stars except the only stars we recognized was Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan and we marveled at the lights of Hong Kong that were before us.

We returned to our hotel and decided that despite our long flight from Zurich that we should enjoy a Rum and Scotch at Tiffany's Bar where there was a live band with three girls singing soppy ballads to entertain the crowd. We found found our way to bed at 1AM, it had been a long day.

Saturday 1st August 2009

We woke up with the knowledge that today was effectivley the last full day of our great adventure before returning home to our loved ones in Melbourne. We were over touring but motivated each other with the thought that as Hong Kong had the reputation of being the meca of bargain shopping that we would set out to see whether it was true. Our hotel concerge directed us via shuttle bus to Harbour City Shopping Centre but we were quickly disappointed as we found the shops were no different to what we had experienced in the great cities we had previously visited and that the prices on offer where of no advantage over our local shopping meca of Chadstone.

So, back in a cab, and a short releif from the humidity as we replanned our day and grabbed a bit of lunch at our hotel and then it was off to the outer part of Hong Kong island by cab where we arrived at the Stanley Markets to disciover if this is where we would find those most reputed bargains. It wasn't long before both of us thought, that despite the beautiful surrondings of the Hong Kong Harbour, that was on offer here was of no more value than our own Victoria Market. Apart from a minor purchase from Tony we left Stanley empty handed and once again slightly disappointed by Hong Kongs reputation. Our cab headed back to Kowloon but as we approached the tunnel to return under the harbour our driver spoke to us in Chinnes and asked us for our co-operation in the best way forward. We both agreed "What ever mate" but didn,t realise that what he was telling us that because of the traffic he was not prepared to go any further and he promply dropped us off at the nearby railway station to fend for ourselves.

Up until now we have been prepared to accept travelling on every form of public transport in every city in the world but we had previously decided that there would be no more trains or buses in Hong Kong. Now we found ourselves with no alternative, despite trying to convince other taxi drivers to take us to Koowloon and so we joined the thousands of passengers entering the Hong Kong subway and successfully made our way under the Hong Kong harbour and back into Kowloon.

We wandered around some more shops, mostly selling electronic equipment and expensive watched and pens, and fended off numerous street salesman of homemade suits and without spending a cent we grabbed another cab and returned to our hotel to shower and freshen up for our final dinner of our trip.

Having sampled the local cuise the night before we decided to eat at what was reputed as Hong Kongs most authentic Italian retaurant where we had a great meal over a bottle of Shiraz from Sicily. A return to Tiffany's bar for one final drink before heading to our room to provide this installment of our adventure with you, our family and friends.

In five hours time we will be on our way to Hong Kong airport for our journey home. We are both looking forward to returning home and seeing our family and friends (not to mention washing our clothes) but this has been a trip of a life time which we will never forget and we thank for spending the time on coming on the journey with us. 

There has been to many highlights to single out any one but we are coming home with great memories and momentos to rememeber them all and we thank you for sharing this journey with us.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: