London Blog

Trip Start Jul 12, 2009
Trip End Aug 02, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tuesday 21 July 2009

A movie and a couple of nana naps we awoke to find ourselves at Zurich airport. We we transferred by airport train to our four hour waiting area before boarding our flight to London. In what we are quickly understanding to be the strength of the Swiss we departed Zurich exactly on time and began our flight over Europe. The scenery was majestic over the Swiss Alps, France and Belgium but despite this opportunity to witness Europe at its best Tony chose to keep his fellow passengers distracted by his murmuring and snoring. He awoke as we flew over Buckingham Palace to ask the question, where the hell are we. Glenn refused to answer.

An efficient exit through customs and we found ourselves in a quaint English cab, though the streets of London and to our hotel room in Kingston where we crashed and slept for the next four hours. We awoke post tea time and decided to head out for dinner and found a local Indian restaurant in Kingston to consume some local delights (hope your all impressed Tony ate Indian).

We went back to our room to relax and Tony did what he has never done before in his life and spent an hour hour hand washing some dirty cloths (I hope your all impressed).

A call to Nat and a bit of TV and it was time for bed.

Wednesday 22 July 2009

We set our alarm to wake up at 7AM and with little hesitation we had showered, out of bed and at breakfast at 7.30AM. An excellent English breakfast got us on our way to join The Big Bus Company hoop on and off double decker tour bus outside the Goats Arms pub in Kingston.

our day was spent seeing the icons of London including Kingston Palace, Hyde Park, Regent Street (where we hoped off the bus, had a Lavazza coffee and spent more than an hour at Hamsley Toy Store), Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Trafalgar Square, 10 Downing Street, Westminster Cathedral, Big Ben, London Bridge, Tower Bridge and the ultimate Buckingham Palace. On our trip we also partook one of London's major attractions, The London Eye where for 30 minutes we got the opportunity to have the most unbelievable site of Westminster and London.

Nine hours and 150 photos later we returned to our hotel to quickly get changed and head back to the Underground at High St Kingston to travel to set the West end play The 39 Steps which is joyous version of the Hitchcock classic. The Criterion Theatre at Piccadilly Circus was over two hundred years old and it was an incredible step back in time to be there.

After the play we headed to a Chinese restaurant and had a late dinner but was surprised even as we left the restaurant after 11PM many people were still streaming in for dinner.

Back on the Underground to our home port of Kingston we decided to wonder down to the local pub know as the "Archangel" where we finished the night with a couple quite drinks talking the locals. Back in our room, this up to date blog complete, its time to brush our teeth its time to get ready for another day in the Royal city.

Thursday 23 July 2009

We rebelled against our alarm this morning and climbed out of bed in time for the final sitting of our hotel breakfast. We returned to our room, packed our back pack and headed to the boutique of High Street Kingston to consumed our essential first latte of the day. Five pounds later we were ready to walk to the Underground and head to Southfields village in north London where we inspected the prices of the local real estate, visited the local pharmacy to find a remedy for Glenn's blistered feet and purchased a bunch of grapes from the local fruit shop. We then headed down Wimbledon Park road towards our iconic destination. We arrived at the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Club at 1.20PM and were in awe of the arena that we were entering. At 2PM our personal tour guide, Rosemary, joined us to take us on a tour of these most hallowed grounds.

We went from Court 1 to Henman Hill, to the players Press Room, view the reconstruction of Court 2 and then finally onto centre court. A we toured the stadium as proud aussies we paid homage to the likes of Hode, Fraser, Laver, Rosewall, Court, Newcombe, Goolagong, Cash, Hewitt and of course the two Woodies. As well as that we felt privileged to be walking the paths of the greats of the like of Borg, McEnroe, Conners, Navratalova, Edberg, Courier, Graf,  Sampras and the one and only ROGER!!!! We finished the tour and headed to the Wimbledon museum which we both believe would have to be the most impressive sporting museum in the world with amazing interactive displays. Note this is the only museum either of us have been inclined to visit during our adventure so far. We then consumed a late lunch at the Wimbledon pavilion where Glenn enjoyed the traditional strawberries and cream. We headed back to the Underground and then to our hotel where we rested and freshened up for the evening ahead.

We returned to the Underground and took the Piccadilly Line to the very trendy and vibrant district of Covent Gardens. We found our way past the contemporary eateries and into a traditional Italian restaurant where we enjoyed a parma, kiev, tartufo for dessert and good Italian wine (Guess who have the parma). After dinner we visited the Marquess of Anglesy Hotel where we enjoyed a night cap before returning to the Underground and back to our Kingston hotel.

We both agree that today was one of the best of our trip and we have both fallen in love with London Town.

Friday 24 July 2009

Our flyng visit to London camne to an abrupt end this morning when we packed, had breakfats and checked out of our Kensington hotel. We decided not to take the Underground to join our Eurostar trip to Paris due to our increasingly heavy baggage and instead we caught a London cab to the Pancras Station. This last strive through the streets of London reemphasized our admiration for the place and we both agreed that we would be back. Indeed our friendly and courteous taxi driver was a great example of those we met in this great city.

We went through passport control and waited to called to be called to platform 7 to board our train to Paris. Our carriage was in first class and as we sped up to to over 200km/h and reached the English Channel tunnel we said good bye to Britain. In the tunnel our pre lunch drinks were on our tray table soon followed by a three course meal. The service on board was excellent and the ride incredibly smooth, this beats flying any day.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: