Whitsundays Sailing

Trip Start Oct 04, 2004
Trip End Oct 02, 2005

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Friday, July 1, 2005

29th June 2005.

At 9am we went to the marina at Airlie in order to meet up with our boat that was taking us on a tour of the Whitsunday Islands. Laura and Fran had been on the same yacht, Iceberg, a 52ft racing yacht. We were taken on board (once we'd bought our drink for the trip) and introduced to the crew, Matt (the skipper), Liv, and Duncan. There were only 7 of us on the yacht which meant that we'd be a little more comfortable. We were allocated a double room on the yacht, which was great, and were then introduced to the rest of the people travelling. We had Gillian (scottish), Varsha (indian) and Anneka (dutch), and finally Lizzie and Emma, who were just out of Absolutely Fabulous. 19 years old and crackers. We started the day with a warning to stay out of the galley whilst liv was in there before heading on our way. We sailed through to Hamilton Island for our first night, a place very popular with the tourists. We visited there due to the matt wantin to meet up with a friend of his, so he paid the mooring costs and it meant we could use the resorts on the island. Liv invited us for a walk up to Passage Peak, a nice 6km round trip to the highest point on Hamilton island which nearly killed us all, however once there the views were stunning. We ventured back down to the bottom of the hill after licking the bum of a green ant (tastes very much like lemon if you are interested) and spent the next hour or so in the pool at the resort. It was back on board the boat for dinner where after I taught anneka how to do the Poi, and we also had a few drinks.

30th June 2005

We sailed from Hamilton onwards to Whitehaven beach. A pristine white beach that just looks beautiful. Unfortunately it was a little overcast but it didn't stop us playing a bit of football on the beach as well as try our hand a kitesurfing. It was then off for a spot of snorkelling at Dumbell Island before we moored at Cateram Bay for the night. Lots of sea eagles and flying fish were on the horizon to end the day.

1st july 2005.

Last day of sailing meant that we were to make our way back to Airlie, but not before we saw an almighty splash meaning that Humpback whales were in the area. We tried to find them but it was not meant to be. We stopped at manta ray bay to do a bit more snorkelling, an absolutely beautiful place where the sea life is incredible. Check the photo's out for it!. We made our way around the top of hook island where we met up with another boat to race them home. We all took our places, changing sails, tigtening the rigging, and all that other sea fairing stuff you do. The skipper chose the wrong hat sail to use so we had the floor wiped with us, but it was great fun travelling, once again, at a 30 degree angle all the way home.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: