New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trip Start Oct 04, 2004
Trip End Oct 02, 2005

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Sunday, January 2, 2005

On New Years Eve we had a very early start in order to get a good spot. As mentioned earlier, Sarah and me had walked bloody miles in order to find a good vantage place, and with Blues Point, we found it. We headed off first thing in order to get to the place for 10am. Ok so it was stupidly early, but if it meant that we had a good spot for the fireworks then it was ok by us!. We got the ferry over, which was a nice way to start the day. When we got there people had been camping out overnight and laying their groundsheets in an attempt to mark their territory. I wouldn't have been surprised if some of them had left their scent just in case....

As blues point was a managed site, it meant that no booze was allowed to be brought in, but you could buy from a bar that had been set up. As it was so early we took in a 5 litre bag of wine, hidden in the bottom of our esky (sorry, cooler bag), and got away scott free. Me, Sarah, Dom, and Martine grabbed a spot near the front of the place, just a little back from the waters edge. We were later joined by Catherine, Liz and another Sarah. We started the day with a few glasses of vino, a read of the paper, and some wonderful food we had put together. I later joined a few asian guys as they were doing poi, and promptly wiped the floor with them (ok so i tried to copy some of the stuff they were doing and not look a muppet at the same time). The ice cream man came along a little later, not in a van but in a bloody boat. Selling ice creams out the back of a boat. The weather was great all day long, hot enough to have some nice cold beer, but not too hot. It wasnt until 9pm that the first fireworks started for the family show. Amazing scenes as thousands of fireworks lit up the night sky. It was then a 3 hour wait before the big one at midnight. By that time the que for the ladies was at a shocking distance, taking on average 40 minutes for the ladies to go. The gents were in and out in no time. When new year came though it was well worth the wait. The bridge was lit up with an array of fireworks that you can only dream of. There were colours galore, and the spectacle lasted around 15-20 minutes. This year's theme was "reflections" where a big ball made from windmills was raised and lowered from the bridge. The windmills would then turn in the wind and lasers would shine off the rotating sails. Unfortunately for the designer it was one of the calmest nights, with no wind at all. Therefore it just looked silly and didn't have the desired effect. To see the rest of it though was just awe inspiring. Compared to what we get back home, this kicked ass. After it had all died down, we finished off our numerous and plenty botles of wine we had bought, got a refund on the bottles, and got the train back to town (which everyone was let on for free!). Martine made Dom walk home as, to put it into his words, he was a little goosed.

New Years day was a quiet affair, but Me and Sarah had to be up early as we were moving rooms in our house. After a bit of drama we managed to move upstairs in the house and got hold of a wonderfully big balcony on which to enjoy plenty of wine on those hot aussie nights.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: