Plane and boat puking

Trip Start Mar 17, 2007
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Saturday, July 12, 2008

Our wireless stopped working, yesterday afternoon. The result is that we have nothing booked for when we return but, much worse: Hubby did not get to send his computer games!

He gets up at 6h10 and the internet works. I am running around like a headless chook while T finishes his games. We booked a taxi for 06h40. We are a couple of minutes late and ... no taxi. No matter how many planes I take, I still think that the plane is going to leave without me. Ten minutes later: no taxi. Dr T calls the cab company. There were here at 06h40 and left. One shows up at 7h and takes us around the corner where we find the office still closed. All the costumers are waiting outside. Deborah shows up soon. She is late because her husband sent her out for milk. She is American, chaotic and cute, she reminds me of my friend Michal. She makes us coffee, cannot make the video work and it takes more than half an hour before we are picked up for the airport.

Two little planes are waiting for us. T gives a big smile before getting in but that disappears 2 minutes after takeoff. I am the lucky one, sitting next to the pilot. He is chatty, keeping me posted about where we are and what we are doing. I do think he is inexperienced. While I have fun, Dr T is puking his gusts out in the back. And: YES, there are pictures. And: YES, there is one on the website. You nasty, cruel people will ask for it. Yes: YOU!!!

Look at our landing! (Just put your PC on its right side) I think I could have done better. But, it was fun. Well, for me, that is. We are at Lizard Island. People coming from the boat wish us luck and say: 'if you think the flight was rough, think again'. What does that mean? We walk to the boat on a strictly limited path. Normally the island is private for the guest of the only resort. We can walk over a small road to the shore. A little Zodiac takes us to the Nimrod, our house for 4 days.

Welcome by skipper, welcome by dive crew. We leave for our first diving spot of the day immediately. What the f... ? The boat is rocking so hard, you cannot walk around without GRABBING everything you can get hold of. I ask Dr T. I thought Catamarans were stable?! He says this IS stable. What? In no time people are throwing up everywhere. My poor Hubby again. I go to upper deck to try on a different wetsuit. It is also the hospital because it is the most airy part of the boat. I meet Travis. He is lying on his back, squeezing his way into a wetsuit, trying not to puke. He looks like a dying crab, with the paws dangling in the air. It is NOT funny. I feel sorry for those people. I have never been sea sick in my life, so I do not know how it feels. It does look horrible.

First dive: cod hole, two hours after departure. It is nr 23 on our top 100 of best dive sides in the world. And, hmmmmm, we are not so impressed. Yes, the cods are big. The second dive is in the same spot but this time the dive master, Bear, is feeding the cods. This is fun. They are our size and Bear is standing on the sand and the divers are sitting around him. You have to keep your finger hidden. The normal 'OK' sign between divers? Don't do it! The cods (and other, even more dangerous candidates) see your finger as ... bate! Bear also feeds them in front of your nose. You face is slapped by their tales. Dr T plays more with them afterwards. It is different. But for me: it does not get a place in the top 100.
In the evening, everybody is tired. As usual, the crowd is much younger than us and has very few dives. Our room, the Stateroom, is nice. Jo, our cook, prepares us a good meal and I absolutely love our hostess: Juliette. Which part of sweet, warm, caring and pretty did you not get?

Dr T is still sick. And it is not getting better when the boat starts moving again. We will sail 3 more hours tonight. We sit on the upper deck together. He cannot stay in the room.

I am surprised. I did a live aboard 6 years ago on the Great Barrier Reef. The sea was flat and the sun out. We were sitting on the upper deck sun bathing whenever we were not diving. Right, Girls? So, what is this? Rain, wind, rocky sea??? Certainly for Hubby: I hope it gets better... .
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: