First dives in Belize

Trip Start Mar 17, 2007
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Belize  ,
Sunday, May 27, 2007

We had a lovely meal last night and go to bed afterwards with our book. I wake up, it is light, I look at my diving computer: 09h02: we are too late for our dive. I almost start screaming: 'Tomcat!!!' when I notice: it is 05h02. No more sleep for me! I try. Get up. I try. Get up. I give up at 7h and clean up the room. The mess we can make in less than 24h is impressive. I wake up hubby at 8h and we are at the diving side (next door) at 8h15, much too early. Diving is normally punctual, well, not here, we leave at 9h30, half an hour too late. The boat is very nice and with the debriefing, we learn there are 2 diving masters and 13 divers. They are not going to split the group in 2 and we know what that means: very slow diving!

It is a mess. South-Carolina (we always remember where people are from but their names...) hits my regulator out of my mouth. I had worse, once someone kicked my regulator out of my mouth and with the same kick, my mask off my face. Which means: you are blind and without air. Did I mention how much fun diving is? Anyway, Hubby finds moray (he has something with those morays) AND shark. I find 2 more sharks, which is a miracle: I never find anything, unless it bumps into me! Huge lobster, would feed 4 people. When we come up after 57 minutes, Tomcat and I say: it was OK. Getting SO spoiled! We sail back (5 minutes) and during our interval time, we change rooms. This is better. Not good, but better.

Second dive, we do more or less our own thing and therefore loose our diving master for 15 minutes. We find a moray, a shark, Jesus (but that is a statue) and then a remoras finds us. That is a fish, looking like a shark itself, glues to sharks (a dangerous moment indeed) and then swims with them, taking a ride AND eating all the bits the shark drops. This remoras thinks: 'an Australian shark!' and tries to glue itself to Tony's feed, who is very ticklish and tries to sell it to me. It swims with us for 15 minutes, getting hugs (I know, I know, we are not supposed to touch the wildlife). 

After the dive, we go back to our new room, where Tomcat puts the beds together and steals a table from outside. 
A view from our balcony. And my office. I had better but I bet it is more exotic than yours!

No internet access here, so I have to save my stories on a memory stick and go to an internet café. But first try and wake up Hubby.

We go to the blue Hole tomorrow, we have to get up at 5, poor us! Stories about that tomorrow. Or the day after. We will be gone for 12 to 14 hours.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: