Fathers Day in Jelawang Jungle

Trip Start Feb 21, 2008
Trip End Aug 21, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  ,
Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Fathers Day to Geoff and to me from Clare and Craig.

We are not in contact because of signal where we are BUT I know that I will have a message on the phone from Clare and Craig when we get back to Dabong. Hope the kids miss us as much as we miss them.

This morning Mark called us at 6am so we could see the sunrise. I half woke up and told Helen that it was absolutely pouring down and silly to see the sunrise when it would mean another set of wet clothes....so we went back to sleep till 7.30am. When we went to breakfast and thanked Mark I realised that it had not been raining but was the sound of the waterfall which was about 10 metres from our hut....silly boy.

Heard a Gibbon monkey this morning. He was booming out his call as we were told that the basecamp is within his territory. He sometimes comes close enough in the trees arouns to see him but is not to be approached. He boomed for about an hour and then moved on.

Set off today with Yo our guide to walk the Survival Trak to The Last Waterfall. Took about 2 hours but not quite so steep....Yo took it slowly and rested frequently so that we found it easier. He tried to explain things about local flora and fauna along the trail but sometimes we were all spread out so by the time the details were told to the next in the group it was like Chinese whispers. At the Waterfall we had a swim and a lazy couple of hours. Some of the other staff had brought up some lunch which was great. The staff forgot the teabags so sent the youngest boy down to get some....he skipped away like a gazelle and seemed to go down and be back again in seconds.

After lunch we came down to the 7 potholes. These are like holes drilled in the rock that are full of swirling water from the falls. They are all about 7 ft deep. Five of the 7 are considered too dangerous for tourists to jump in although our guide had no problems. We were allowed to go into Pothole 6....eerie going down a 7ft tube in the rock just wide enough for your shoulders to fit and going under to touch the bottom of the hole. The noise of the water is quite something. We then all had a go at crossing over some very slippery rocks to a strong waterfall and having got there keeping your back to the rockface we had to edge under the falls and then lean forward for a rather strong water massage. When Hels went in, the water went straight down her bikini bottoms and she just managed avoiding any embarrassment by catching them just in time. She then edged out and we went in together with Tony holding the back of her bottoms. We edged into the falls under a torrent of water and lent forward when the water caught Hels bikini top and managed to persuade her attributes to come out to play in the water. Obviously everyone was gentlemanly and not a mention was made by our fellow travellers or the guides, who I suspect might have seen this happen before!! I waited ages for it to happen to Anastasia or Rachael but their bikinis had been superglued on!

Back down to camp for tea and buiscuits. Hels spotted a huge monster about 9 inches long ( no humour please ) It was a bright red/orange millipeed, an absolute monster. The staff caught it and put it in a bottle for the pet scorpions who already had one to eat. Later after the head had been ripped off  and had been stolen by ants, the body of this millipeed was still able to walk around the bucket when given a slight prod with a stick.

We had a good dinner together but could have eaten a lot more, especially Mark who with deepest respect is very slim but has a massive appetite.Played cards and drunk tea....no alchol in the basecamp.

At 10pm Tony, Mark, Rachael, Esta and Yan went on a night trek with Yo and another guide. Hoping to see Tapir, Wild Boar, Civets, Gibbons, spiders, scorpions, millipeeds and of course the elusive Malaysian Tigers................after 80 minutes we returned to the camp having spotted.........sod all. However on a few occassions when we grouped together and turned out all our torches it was eerie in the trees, at night with all the noises about. The guides to be fair did go wandering off the tracks to see if they could find things for us but to no avail. Came back to camp and Hels had waited for me to go to hut together.

Borrowed a candle from Esta which we lit in our hut and it was really romantic as we got into bed ( after bug precautions ) and cuddled up..........then within ten seconds Hels decided she was so tired she would go to sleep straight away and then the candle would be a danger if I dozed off. So I had to get out to blow out the candle.....she was right of course. Must be Mr. Cooper at our rugby club and his Health and Saftey training.

Slept well
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: