New York City...the second trip there

Trip Start Jun 07, 2008
Trip End Sep 10, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , New York
Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Well i went to Philadelphia on the Friday, and then that Saturday i went on another trip to NYC since the camp was going there and i was one of the lucky 3 out of 18 counselors who got chosen to go as 4 of our campers chose to go there for the Saturday trip. There were two NYC trips one for a NYC tour, and the other for a Broadway show, so i had requested to see a show in my preferences and was excited to know i got it!! So we set off early sat morning at about 8am and were in NYC at about 10am. We got off the bus in Staten Island and took the Staten Island Ferry to NYC from there. Its the orange ferry that is in alot of NYC movies, travel shows and all that. Its a free ferry so that is even better, especially since it passes right past the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (the old NYC immigration center). I will defiantly be going on again when i go back. it was awesome to see the Statue of liberty in the flesh finally. And the NYC skyline. It felt very surreal to be there on the ferry looking at it.
We had lunch in Battery Park which is at the bottom of Manhattan (near the WTC site) and then we hauled ass to the show in the bus. The only problem was the bus driver missed a turn or something and we got caught in alot of traffic so we ended up getting out 10 blocks early and basically ran to either Hairspray or Cirque du Soleil- a Jungle themed show. I was seeing Cirque since i had little kids with me. But after the long run which took about 20mins, and it was boiling hot too we managed to see the show even though we were 15mins late. It was a great show and was on Broadway which is pretty cool, but everyone was so tired from the run, cos we were basically running through red intersections to make the show and with the heat, sitting in a cool, dark theater had majority of us dozing off during the first half of the show. I found it hard to keep my eyes open sometimes but the show was so good i didn't fall asleep. I had to shake one kid like 5 times really hard to wake him up cos he was basically knocked out with tiredness which was kinda funny. The second half of the show was better than the first. The people were hanging from ropes from the ceiling by their feet, or were dressed like frogs and emus and stuff, so it was hard to believe there were real people in the costumes that's how well they moved around on stage.
Anyway, after the show we waited for Hairspray to get out, i would have loved to see that too and then we were dropped off at the South Street seaport which is near Brooklyn Bridge, WTC center, Wall st all of that. It was really nice there. We got to walk around and look at shops which was fun. However it began absolutely pouring with rain in a late summer afternoon storm and it didn't let up for 20 mins or so. So we were all literally hiding in shops waiting it out cos you would be soaked if you went out in it. We got caught in it so i was dripping wet but the air con in a clothes store we went in dried me which was good. I was excited i got to see the Brooklyn bridge right in front of me. it is like the Sydney Harbour Bridge and how dominating it looks right in front of you. It was a great sight, even though it had been raining before i saw it. I guess that all made it more awe inspiring.
We left at about 7.30pm and drove past the WTC site. It wasn't a very big site, like i expected cos we could see right in there but it was weird driving past and knowing everything that had happened there. It was really hard to believe actually looking at it. But i will go back and see it on foot, so that will be good in a weird way, but you know what i mean. I was really tired on the bus so I just chilled out listening to my ipod and rested my eyes. It was relaxing. We had to catch the yellow school bus from Haverford College where the others were dropped off so we still had another 20mins to go after that, and one of my campers was sick cos she ate too much chocolate but she was fine after that so that was good for me. It was about 10.30pm when we got back to camp, and then i found out i was doing an 8am airport run the next day so i wasn't really impressed but they trusted me to do it so i guess thats a positive in that. So Erin (an Aussie) and I were picked up with 8 other counselors from Haverford and taken to Philadelphia airport, and we didn't leave there until 6.30pm!! It was really full on tiring, we had alot of kids come through, about 70 that were going to Tennis and Golf, Haverford, Cabrini and a Jewish camp across from us, so it was hectic. One group of girls came in who were about 11 years old and they literally had 8 bags as big as me overall. And Erin and I had to work out how to fit all of it on a push trolley. The ones i had were so heavy and long we had to take them off the trolley to get them into the elevator!! Then if that wasn't bad enough, i had to push their trolley with 3 huge bags that we as long as me in length, while they carried other bags across 2 carpeted areas of the airport cos we had to get them from terminal F to terminal D. It was bad, i was dripping with sweat it was horrible!! But we managed to do it. Then at 4.30pm we had about 50 spanish kids come in from Real Madrid so we had to get them into what camp they were going to and all that. It all sorted itself out, but i was just over it all by then and wanted to go to sleep after 2 long days. but we had sunday night activities to do for most of the camp had new campers so we had to go to that too, but it wasn't so bad once i went to bed.

Well hope that was enough to make you laugh abit,
I can laugh about it all now.

Take Care,
Love Toni xoxo

P.s Hollywood director Spike Lee came to camp on sun to drop off his son at our that's really cool to have someone as famous as him here. He's got a nice kid. Hopefully i'll get to see him when he picks him up.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: