Where are We?

Trip Start Apr 01, 2008
Trip End Jun 30, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  ,
Thursday, May 1, 2008

She Says:

It's been quite some time since I have contributed to the blog so here goes...

We started yesterday at Westminster Abbey which was amazing although in Tom's opinion it was "a little cluttered".  I know that I have been to the front of the abbey before but I don't really remember going in.  The amount of statues was quite impressive however I was a little unnerved by the fact that you were allowed to walk on top of peoples graves (I guess there is no other way to walk through).  This was made worse by Tom constantly reminding me that I was "walking on top of dead people" and taking great pride in walking over people he had heard of before.  After checking out the abbey in its entirety we left and made our way to the Imperial War Museum (thanks to Hunty who decided it would be a good idea to share with Tom that this this museum was his top-rated in London).  On the way we stopped off for a coffee at the local church (they had free Wi-fi) and after managing to upload a small selection of our 600 or so photos we continued onto the museum.  The museum exceeded my expectations and was actually pretty spectacular (to steal one of Tom's favourite adjectives).  I guess the main problem is that I go through a museum, look at what interests me and move on.  I guess Tom does that too, he just has a lot more stuff that he is interested in.

After the museum we set out in the pouring rain to head home to have dinner and get ready for the theatre.  We went to a bar called "Vesbar" down the road from where we are staying to have an early dinner.  We ended up leaving there at about 6 to make our two train connection trip to the theatre.  This is where it all started to go wrong.  We sat around at the first station for about 15 mins (the longest we have ever waited for a train) and Tom was already getting worried about whether we would make it.  I told him that we would be fine and not to stress, it turned out I was wrong.  We finally got on the first train and took the couple of stop trip to the next connection.  We jumped off the train at the station and made our way (running) to the next train.   Let's just say that we got on the next train that arrived at the platform...  This train was not only headed in the wrong direction it was also the wrong line and to top it off it was an express.  So 15 mins later (and a long way - edge of zone 3 if that means anything) we got off the train and crossed platforms to get onto the correct train.  This was not an express train...it stopped at every station we had skipped on the previous train.  Still sitting on the train at about 25 to 8 (the theatre started at 7:30)  and about 7 stations from our original destination we decided that we were probably (lol) not going to make it.  Tom was extremely annoyed, frustrated....and the rest and somehow I was calming him down even though it was the show I really wanted to see that we missed.  As a consellation prize we decided to go to a comedy club in Leicester square that we had seen advertised in the free paper on the tube.  I'll let Tom tell you about this, let's just say it was pretty funny....

He says:

Well as Gaynor mentioned I was not in the best of moods after our tour of the outer suburbs, so I was pretty keen on the idea of a comedy club in the hope that it'd cheer me up.  So we caught the tube to Leicester Square (no mistakes this time) and found the 99 club, which was located above an ordinary pub (the second sign that things weren't quite right...  the first being the 2for1 entry deal...).  The club itself was, how would you describe it...  An extremely intimate venue, comprising approximatly 10 chairs, 10 stools and a dining room table that Gaynor and I ended up sitting on.  The whole place had to be smaller than our dining room at home...  We were also the first ones there, so were a little apprehensive of how we were going to extricate ourselves being the only 2 audience members sitting approximately 2 metres from the microphone (yes, for some bizaarre and unfathomable reason they had a mic...).  At this point I was seriously threatening Gaynor that if it was as bad as I feared that I was 'going to get us drinks' (read:  and not coming back...).

The place did eventually fill up, sort of, as much as you can fill a space that size and with at least 10 seats empty, including the entire front row.  Needless to say Gaynor and I were in stitches before the night even began...  When it did begin we were treated to 6 comics ranging from a tragic/slightly autistic homosexual comic making jokes about performing fellacio on his music teacher as a kid (not great...) to a couple of comics, who seemed a little more professional and were using us as a sounding board for new routines (a lot more entertaining).

All in all between the bizzarre acts, bizzarre venue and very special audience (including one member who was dubbed David Hitler (seemed to fit...) the night turned out to be quite entertaining if not quite what was envisaged.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: