In another world

Trip Start Apr 01, 2008
Trip End Jun 30, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , New York
Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Thanks for all the replies everyone.  They are appreciated and we will endevour to reply to you ll eventually so please keep them coming...

He says

You will have to excuse me if this entry dosen't make much sense as I am currently operating on 6 hours sleep over the last 40 hours and my brain is still somewhere over the pacific, lost and desperatly trying to find where its body has got to... For proof check out the before and after shots.

So we made it!  The flight from Sydney to LA was long and fairly uneventful save for the kid who decided that acting as a human grandfather clock by clapping out the hours on the hour every hour would be amusing for everyone on board (it wasn't), the man who screamed out female names during the dead of night (I like to think he was yelling Stellar, but  don't think he was) and the non-stop turbulance which meant that it was impossible to sleep.  On the plus side QANTAS is now serving Jimmy Squires on international flights so my beer pilgrammage got off to a flying start...

Then we arrived in LA...  I like to think of LAX as pergatory...  LAX is currently undergoing renovations and as QANTAS isn't American and Australia is no longer in the Coalition of the Willing we had to taxi our big 747 to a tiny little shed about 10 miles from the airport terminal from where we waited in the freezing cold for a bus to take us to the gates of hell.  On the way we were treated to the best sight of the trip so far, which was an LAPD cruiser half dissapeared down a car sized hole in the tarmac surrounded by 4 or so people scratching their heads.  Our new best friends (Brisbane lads who were going to Texas to ride in the rodeo) thought this was particularly amusing and worthy of loud and amusingly derogative comments.  We didn't see them after immigration and can only assume they now reside in sunny Cuba...

Anyway immigration and American airport security lived up to its reputation.  The endless lines, surly authorities ("Place your valuables and gold fillings in the tray, strip naked and  walk towards me through the machine in front of you") and the general feeling of desperation and hopelessness can only be described as feeling like we had failed pergatory and where being condemned to hell or an internment camp.  Anyway after pick up our bags, dropping off our bags, getting chastised by immigration for not being married and, therefore, living in sin and getting yelled at loudly by people with big guns we reboarded the same plane 2 hours later and flew to NYC.

We arrived in NY at about 6:00pm was met by Simone (aunt) and caught a cab to our Manhattan appartment.  I'll post some photos of the apartment later but it is great!  Very much the Manhattan experience!  It's located on the lower east side near Thompson park between Avenue A and 1st Ave.  The staircase is tiny narrow and leaning precariously, the front door dosen't fit the door frame properly, everything creaks and groans and the locks are temperamental.  It is also large, sunny and clean and is located brilliantly. 

After dropping off our bags, instead of doing the sensible thing and passing out Simone suggested we go to Times Square, which we jumped at.  We caught the subway to Grand Central station which is incredibly large and imposing and then walked down 42nd street to Times Square... Times Square is insane... bigger, noisier, brighter and more obnoxious then you could imagine and so was a brilliant introduction to the US.

After Times Square Simone took us down to the Meat Packing district where we had a late dinner at a famous diner that I can't remember the name of and I had my first American beer of the trip.  I had a Brooklyn Brewery Pilsner and what can I say other then Americans can't even get microbrewery beer right...  It was extremely carbonated, bitter and not much else.  The bottle claimed that it was brewed in the style of prohibition bootleggers and I guess that it tasted like it had been brewed in a bathtub so they were probably right.

Anyway the meal was great but I made the mistake of taking a photo of the beer (no photos allowed...  Apparently they get quite a few celebrities). Tim (my uncle) finally met us at the diner hopping along on his space age crutches (broken foot) and after a brief catchup, in which I started approximately 10 sentences and finished approximately 0 due to my brain still wandering around the pacific looking for my body and soul, we caught a yellow cab back to our apartment and passed out at about 11:00pm (a bed has never felt so comfortable).

So now I just need to get Gaynor out of her deep slumber and decide what today will bring.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


angelasusan on

So glad you're there and off to a flying start (and you ate at Cafe Florent if you're interested!). Sounda and looks terrific (if a little ragged around the edges by the end of the night). XXX

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: