Long ride and a puncture

Trip Start Aug 22, 2010
Trip End Sep 05, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Monday, August 30, 2010

Today we travelled from Charnock Richard to Shrewsbury, a distance of about 77 miles for the day with about 2500 feet of climbing. We set off from Camelot in reasonable time cheered on by the medieval crowd which assembled but with no sign of King Arthur or the round table. Ladies Day being over, the ladies were still at the hotel when we left. We were on the A49 headed towards Standish and then Warrington. It was impossible to avoid the latter despite the disappointing results of the Challenge Cup FA in which Warrington had trounced Leeds for we hoped we would avoid be seeing crowds of balloon waving and celebrating Warrington supporters; in the event, none were in evidence. We continued to on to Scotton Heath where we met Cheesey's nephew Darren and his workmate Deano; they are involved in some kind of gardening business and have been doing gardens all morning.
As we were standing next to the pub a rather confused looking old lady came up and asked an interesting question, "what is a free whiffy?". I thought of referring her to Cheesey's laundry bag for a quick sniff but on looking around it soon became apparent that her query was prompted by a sign on the side of the pub which announced "free wi-fi".
We had a drink, Tom had red bull again for which he is becoming an addict. Cheesey once again had a pint of Guinness which he believes gives him extra strength and certainly gives him a little jet propulsion. As only someone riding behind him could perceive. We then had to continue on our somewhat perilous journey along the A49, a very fast and dangerous road, and certainly not one to be recommended for cycling. This was Bank Holiday Monday and we passed through the dreary environs of inner and outer Warrington without too much difficulty. Somewhere along the road to Whitchurch we had taken to riding on a cycle path and Tom had a puncture. We removed the tyre and found a large thorn which presumably was picked up on the cycle path which is never properly cleaned. we managed to repair the puncture and set to, to pump up the new tube which had been inserted, unfortunately that power of Cheesey's pumping motion broke the valve barrel which rendered that particular tube unusable. We then retrieved the punctured tube which we had thrown into some bushes and repaired it using one of Cheesey's magic patches. This was then successfully inflated and replaced on the bike and we were ready once more to proceed having lost considerable time.So off we went again. We then continued without incident stopping for the odd
breather on the way. At one point we sat in a field eating Cornish pasties the size of dustbin lids; these were exceptionally nourishing! Later we ate a delicious and nutritious cheese and ham wrap which Gi had also prepared for us. When we got to Whitchurch we changed to a B road for the final stage of the journey to Shrewsbury.

We were due to meet up with Ian and Barbara. The plan was that Ian would find us at one of the roundabouts on the age of Shrewsbury. But unfortunately this did not work out. After several phone calls we did it eventually rendezvous and followed Ian through the town which seemed to involve a great deal of hard climbing. We finally arrived at their house and were welcomed with Becks beer and a nice cup of tea. Barbara very kindly offered to wash our filthy and smelly kit although whether she had taken the precaution of installing an industrial grade washing machine for the purpose we were not sure. Later we were royally fed with a delicious meal of roast beef  and roast vegetables. I feel I should name the vegetables involved; these included, potatoes, sweet potatoes, courgettes, parsnips, runner beans, baked onions, cauliflower, broccoli, dwarf beans, all washed down the some very nice red wine (they were aware of Cheesey's predilection for this particular beverage). We had a delicious sweet which seemed to be a kind of raspberry compote . Then we had cheese and biscuits. This was a very delicious meal and very much needed after the exertions of the day. Later we retired to bed, this time in our separate rooms and had a good night's sleep.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Lynne Smith on

Not too far to go now! I read your blog every day, nice to see some piccies at last. I'm off to sunny Spain, but will see you on 13th Brian, when no doubt, I will have to pay up!!
Good luck with the rest of the journey.xx

Fraser on

Keep up the good work Tom. I don't envy you having to ride behind the Guiness swilling monster! Believe it or not, someone wrote a children's story about him: The Stinky Cheeseman and Other Silly Stories. Even more amazing, there is a track on a CD by Randall J Fox about him: Stinky Cheeseman - you can download it from Amazon for 0.79p

Sister Angela on

Such a relief that you are both alive and apparently kicking. Keep up the good eating. I expect Nigel has arranged for the whole of Tavistock to cheer you on! We've got rain on the radar here. Good to hear of some conjugal rights in Chorley.

Jenny Holland on

Good to see your sense of humour's still in tact. Very entertaining reading.

Brother Pete on

I have followed with interest your journey south and it would appear that you are both cream crackered through drinking and not by physical effort .Keep going though ,and I hope you raise loads of dosh for your charities.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: