Fraser Island 4x4 Tour

Trip Start Dec 21, 2008
Trip End Jan 30, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Thursday, January 15, 2009

A few facts, Fraser Island...

- Is the world's largest sand island
- Has a surface area of approximately 120km x 15km
- Posesses rainforests, gorges, mineral streams, and some 200 fresh water lakes
- Reputedly contains more sand (it's very deep) than the Sahara desert
- Has sand dunes up to 220m tall
- Is home to around 60 dingo's, some of the purest in the world.


Up at 7am to check out and meet our group by the 4x4 and pack all the food etc. After a few driving tips from Merv, we set off, myself at the wheel, to the ferry. A quik trip, around 1km, over to the island and we headed up its east coast. We drove up Maheno beach, past the Pinacles (a coloured stretch of sand cliffs), along Coroboree Beach, and finally on to Indian Head. This is where you can sometimes spot dolphins, Manta Rays, and Turtles...we saw none, but it was still a good view from the top of the rocky cliffs. Its awesome fun driing along the beach, though a bit tricky when you hit soft spots or one of the many creeks running into the sea. After we headed back south along the beach and set up camp with the other 4x4s behind some dunes. Wee took a stroll along the beach en mass to Eli Creek. After heavy rain its fast moving, it wasn't when we rode down but it still took you. After using the facilities we walked back to camp and a night of drinking ensued (or continued for those not driving...glad i took the first shift) with music coming from the trucks. Even though we were behind the dunes the wind was still pretty strong and we awoke in the morning with no cover over our tent (see pic), unfortunately there was a short shower so we got a bit wet!


Feeling fresh we got up and had breakfast before heading down to the Maheno ship wreck, which was a passenger liner blown to shore by a cyclone in 1935 while being towed to a Japanese scrapyard. After taking a few pictures we set off for Lake McKenzie. (Another quick many of the lakes on Fraser, it is 'perched' - formed by water accumulating on top of a thin impermeable layter of decaying twigs and leaves. Apparently you can exfoliate your skin with the mineral sand and soften your hair in the clear frest water.) It was a horrible journey up the the lake along an 11km dirt track. To give you some idea of how bad the track was, the journey took well over an hour, mostly up hill. Well worth it when we arrived, it looked like paradise, a crystal-clear lake surrounded by lush rainforest. We messed about in the water for a while, had lunch and got back in the truck for the return journey. It was getting late and driving on the beach, tides are an issue so we set up camp behind some dunes and the madness started once again.


Woke up tent intact and trekked along the beach then inland along a track to Lake Wabby. After 45 miutes of walking in the heat it was a releif to reach the lake. Surrounded by eucalypt forest on three side and a huge dune on one side there was only one thing to be done...a line up of the team at the top of the dune, running down holding hands until jumping into the lake. One guy fell quite badly but nobody was seriously hurt! After relaxing on the beach it was time to walk back to the van and begin the drive to the ferry, not before stopping at a shop in the small township of Eurong for an ice cream.

The whole trip was great, saw some sites and met some people. A special mention has to go to a hilarious lone German in our group, Daniel. Kept us all highly amused.


We had an early start again to catch some waves. We went off to surf school for a 3 hr lesson, it was a good cure for a hangover being dragged around by the sea while hopping on the board. We learnt some pointers then our instructor called us to him where he'd get you on the board and then let go at a good wave. It took a few goes but we were standing up surfing quite often. Tom of course was better than I was and he then went on his own. I always needed a helping hand as the waves were massive!! We are both narly dudes now!! A night of live music and a few beers to say goodbye to Rainbow Beach.


Our bus wasn't until midday so we rented some belly boards and had an hour of fun in the sea before heading off to Town of 1770/Agnes Waters. Arrived at a very nice hostel/retreat with a awesome outdoor area, pool, lake, table tennis. The rooms were cabins of 8 people split into two four bed rooms and a shared ensuite. Really nice place.

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures & Videos

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: