To 'Malayse' or not to 'Malayse'...

Trip Start Sep 01, 2010
Trip End Jun 18, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Sunday, November 14, 2010

So today we leave Surfers Paradise after spending a week at the theme parks. We are heading about 4 hours north to a small town called Noosa; by doing this we are actually leaving out one of Autralia's biggest cities, Brisbane. Having had a read through our guidebook we decided that there wasn't much draw for us to go there and considering that we aren't really big 'city people' we have struck it off our itinary. Noosa is a small seaside town and we are looking forward to relaxing for a few days, but we are also going to Noosa because it is the closest town to the Austrailia Zoo. Before he died, the Australia Zoo was owned by Steve Irwin (better known as the Crocodile Hunter) and it is now owned by his family. We were really lucky because the day which we had decided to go to the zoo actually turned out to be the national Steve Irwin Day in memory of his death and the 40th anniversary of the zoo opening, so we were really looking forward to going tomorrow. During our last week in Surfers Paradise we have had a really great time at the theme parks and in our lovely accomodation, but we have also had a bit of a dilema on our hands. Unfortunately we haven't been enjoying our time in Australia as much as we had hoped we would, so for the last week we have been trying to weigh up our options and considering whether or not to stay here. We figured out that we could still do all the things we wanted to (such as visit the Great Barrier Reef) and leave Australia three weeks earlier than we had originally planned. After scouring our guidebooks and the internet during the evenings we came to the conclusion that we could leave Oz at the start of December and spend the extra three weeks traveling though Malaysia, a country which we hadn't originally planned to visit. It has been a really difficult week as we tried to make up our minds and come to a decision; on one hand we didn't want to leave Oz too early and always regret not having given it enough time, but on the other hand we can't help how we feel about our time here so far. Towards the end of the week, I in particular, was beginning to feel really down about the whole situation and was getting quite upset at not being able to come to a decision that we were completely happy with; there were good and bad sides to every option. Well, to cut a long story short, we have decided to stay in Oz for the duration of our planned trip and not leave early. It has been a really difficult decision to come to and one which we still don't feel 100% happy with, but to be honest I don't think there is any simple answer to our dilema. At least this way we can always look back and know that we gave Oz a fair shot and didn't give up on it prematurely. Fingers crossed things will improve and we will learnt to love Oz the more time we spend here.     
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: