Tobacco Caye, where everybody knows your name
Trip Start Apr 23, 2009
31Trip End May 23, 2009
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Like Cheers, living on Tobacco Caye is like being in the middle of a sitcom with its own cast of characters.
- George, the defacto 'President' of the island. Works odd jobs and even designs jewelry. Washes the occasional dishes for Raggamuffin Tours when they dock for their 3 day overnight sail to Placencia. Hordes a litter of puppies in his shack.
- Barbara, formerly of Vancouver now running the Tobacco Caye Lodge, the largest resort on the island. Lives with her boyfriend Rustaman. Son Travis is visiting for a bit. Likes to feed the 2 stray dogs on the island with Kibble.
- Lana, owner of Lana's on the Reef. A local institution at 81 this year, married since 1950, has 3 kids, 3 grandchildren one named Stacey and 3 great grandchildren. Makes a mean anything in the kitchen.
- Mario, half Colombian, half Belizean. Formerly a mechanical engineer and worked in a bank in Belize City. Ended up at the University of Arizona (?!?!) for 2 years now the Dive Master at Reef's End Lodge. Works with Art, who also hails from Arizona, formerly an Editor, now retired.
- Phil, drummer from Dangriga, works part time as the bartender at Sunset
- Salvino, Grace and Frank who all work for Lana.
- Joe, lovingly nicknamed Coconut Joe for his ability to amble up palm trees and pick you out a coconut. Works for Barbara.
- Sandy and Trouble, the local strays, 2 of 4 dogs on the island. Recently had a litter of 7 puppies. I'm in love with Trouble Jr., the runt of the litter. Sandy will bite anyone who goes near her puppies. Tred carefully.
- AC, boat and tour operator. Used to run tours with Mario and knows all the good spots for fishing, diving, snorkeling, manatee viewing, you name it, he can find it in the area.
- Captain Jack, boat operator for Paradise Lodge and lives above their dive shop.
There's not much to do but snorkel, swim, dive or hang out in a hammock and drink a few at the 2 bars with the locals
Stacey had an inkling for Belizean lemon meringue pie and Lana made it for her especially. It was the best slice of lemon meringue pie she'd tasted in a long time. The evening was so hot we went out to the Sunset and hung out with Travis and Mario only to fall asleep in a hammock under the bright bright stars.