The Curious Case of the Dog at Teotihuacan

Trip Start Apr 23, 2009
Trip End May 23, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Mexico  , Central Mexico and Gulf Coast,
Monday, April 27, 2009

The city has come to a virtual stand still. The Tourist Office told us that everything will be closed until at the very least May 6th. Due to all the museum closures, Teotihuacan was getting a large influx of visitors. To avoid the crowd, we were up at 5:30 a.m. and out the door by 6:30. It took 45 minutes from the Zocalo to Terminal Norte on the Metro. Thankfully the station and terminal were connected together. We bought one way tickets from the next to the last counter at the end of the station for 33 pesos per person and 5 minutes later were on a bus with 4 other Japanese tourists for the 1 hour ride to Teotihuacan.

Contrary to what LP reported, the buses to Teotihuacan only stop at Gate 1 early in the morning. We got off in the middle of nowhere, Mexico, flagged down a taxi and headed back to Gate 1 for 20 pesos, bought tickets for 51 pesos each and at 8:30 a.m., found ourselves sprinting down the Avenue of the Dead to make the ascent of Pyramid del Sol. We were joined by only 2 other tourists at the summit and a dog that looked down at us with huge beseeching eyes. I offered the cute flea ridden scamp a piece of pastry but he refused. Instead, after a little scratch behind the ears, he led us all the way to the Pyramid of the Moon climbed up with us! If you ever find yourself at Teotihuacan, please bring a few flea collars for the local residents.

At 10 a.m., hordes of tour groups descended. We had to run to stay ahead of the mob. At Gate 1, the guard told us that the bus only picked up once every hour until past noon. Service at Gate 2 was every 15 minutes. At Gate 2, we flagged down a passing bus for 33 pesos each and were dropped off at Ines Verdes on the Metro line. Perfect! On our way to the hostel, we picked up ADO first class tickets for Puebla at the Ticketbus counter near the Plaza Nacional exit to the Metro Zocalo exit.

The day was going smoothly, almost too smoothly until I found my LP Central America missing. A call to Hostel Home confirmed that the book was there. Ugh. There was 2 hours before our bus left and I had to run back to Roma to get it else we'd be operating blind in Guatemala and Belize. On the train, off the train, through station transfers and running through Roma. I must've come across in my mask as some sort of a flu infested crazed person. Back at the hostel Marco at the front desk told us that it would take us it would take 40 minutes to reach TAPO station by Metro. Failure wasn't an option. We were going to make it in under 40 minutes. Silently I told myself that if we made it onto the bus within this limited time, with all this practical experience we'd have to apply to be contestants on the Amazing Race. Stacey and I hauled ass out of the Zocalo running with our bags through the Metro station and TAPO making it 20 minutes ahead of schedule. So it can be done. Don't miss us on the next season of The Amazing Race!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: