Key West: Hemingway and Sponge Bob

Trip Start May 26, 2010
Trip End May 31, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Royal Caribbean - Grandeur of the Seas

Flag of United States  , Florida
Friday, May 28, 2010

Our first night on the ship was beyond my expectations. We had a wonderful late dinner and met our waiters Darshan and Robert. We then tried the Casino for dessert. My first try and I walked away a winner. I was stunned into silence over winning 60 dollars off a 25 cent bet. It definitely got me hooked. We then did some star gazing on the top deck before going to bed.

We woke early the next day with breakfast delivered to our state room. We got our gear for the excursion together and headed out to find our guide. We took the GPS guided tour because we wanted the freedom to roam. Looking back, we could have done without it.

Heading south on the island, we visited the Audobon gardens then the Hemingway house. The day was hot and the walking made things sticky in all the wrong places. We saw a lot of beautiful trees and plants, cats and roosters, and the beginning and end of US 1 along the way.

After our walk back up, we visited the shops near Duval Street. We met Sponge Bob's dad or nightmare. Not sure which it was. I decided to bring a piece of him back home. We wandered around some more, but ran out of time to do much else.

Back on the ship, I dropped off my bags and headed to the spa for a manicure and pedicure. The spa treatment was okay. The sales pitch to buy some product was obvious, but the lady was nice enough. I accomplished what I went for and was ready to get dressed up for the formal Captain's dinner.

The formal dinner was earlier than our dinner the night before and much more relaxed. We ordered wine, but chose the wrong kind for our tastes. The dinner was amazing and dessert was the perfect ending. We stopped by the casino again after dinner, but lost big this time.

We got our photos taken by the professional photographers on the boat and changed into something more relaxing afterward. We tried some coffee and listened to some lounge music for a little while. Browsed the shops, but didn't find anything. There was tons to do, but we decide to do none of it. Tired from our long walk and hot day, we headed back to the room. Our first little animal was waiting. I'm not sure why, but I felt like I was five years old all over again.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: