Water Festival at Inle

Trip Start Apr 23, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Mingalar Inn

Flag of Myanmar  ,
Sunday, April 10, 2011

Bagan to Inle:

Most long, arduous bus rides begin with an inexplicably early start, this was no different! We awoke at 4.15am and had pre-booked a taxi to take us to the street-side bus station/pickup. Plenty of people (even small children) were getting about at this hour under the yellowish light which illuminates the streets pre-dawn.

Our bus pulled up briefly and then departed, although no-one seemed concerned. A local bloke I had been talking with told me there was something wrong underneath the bus and it was making a horrible noise – oh good! We filled the next 45 minutes chatting while we waited for the return of the bus. This guy I met had pretty good English and explained that he was a merchant seaman and worked 2 years on, 10 weeks off. His ship, a container ship, made its way around the world and he had visited many places. Vastly different from the majority of his countrymen.

Our bus eventually returned - with no apparent changes and we crammed on and found our allotted seats. It was immediately apparent how uncomfortable this trip would be. It was only a half-size bus and the seats were only big enough for two Biafrans!! They were also so closely packed that I couldn't put my knees straight out in front of me. So, Shazz got in first and I (with one bum cheek on the seat) got in next to her. Across from us it was almost comical to see 2 fairly rotund young Canadian girls side-by-side. The only way they could manage was to put a stool between our 2 seats and get a bum cheek on that. It worked for a while, but the bus was stopping everywhere for anyone who needed a ride. This meant that soon enough, the aisle was full of locals on stools taking up any remaining space within the bus and a tiny, unfortunate little boy stuck on THE stool between the girls and I. Talk about close up and personal!! As we traversed each bump in the road he either had one of the girls, or myself sitting in his lap and apologising.

The bus didn’t get too far before it was completely full and people had to start getting on the roof and sitting on our luggage while they held on for their lives. There were about 10 of them at one stage.

We all took the opportunity to get off the bus and stretch our legs at each of the frequent stops. A breakfast stop, lunch and several pee-breaks ensured some relief from the cramped conditions. Meanwhile, Shazz had taken a tablet and knocked herself out at the start of the trip (hence my guest appearance here in the tale).

Much of the trip saw the countryside filled both sides of the roads with agriculture. Out here though the place is a dust-bowl where slash-and-burn is king and has wilted the land. Trees are ever-present around the many small villages we passed alongside the road, but shade is the main crop of concern there. Bamboo huts and fences keep people and animals out of the elements and ox and carts and Chinese tractor/trucks are always overloaded with locals hitching a ride into town.

The largest town we passed was Meiktila, on the shores of Lake Meiktila. It was much bigger and greener than anything we’d seen so far. It is mainly a road/rail hub though and we didn’t stop.

We had lunch at a road-side cafe much like you would in Australia. Shazz slept through the whole thing again as I dodged the swarms of flies in the cafe and watched the waitresses man-handle the rice and noodles onto the people’s plates – no thanks, I’ll give it a miss.

Just before we began our relentless climb into the mountains surrounding Lake Inle, we passed the largest lumber yard I’ve ever seen. It was at least 2kms long and stacked with tens of thousands of ancient trees (probably teak) about 2m in diameter and about 40m long. They would constitute a large area of forest in anybody’s books. We were told they were awaiting export to China.

After an hour of climbing via an endless number of switchbacks, we stopped for ten minutes to hose off the brakes and cool them down. Two more hours of climbing finally got us to the pass but the ever-present haze prevented us from any extensive views or a sighting of Inle Lake. In fact, it wasn’t until we got out on the lake itself a few days later that we’d actually see it at all.

We gratefully scampered off the bus at Schwe Nuang, a small township which has grown around a road junction about 30 minutes drive north from Nuang Schwe where we were bound for. Our taxi was a 50yr old Ford Zephyr which was not surprisingly unprepared for the afternoon downpour now coming through the side windows that didn’t wind up or down anymore.

The countryside around the lake is much greener than the land we’d passed through and mainly set aside for rice paddies. We paid yet another Tourist Entrance Fee ($USD5) and our chirpy driver took us to guesthouse a few blocks from the Central Market area.

The Aquarius was a lovely place to stay but they are so popular we could only get 2 nights so we soon moved just down the road to the Mingalar Inn which was lovely too. We had a MASSIVE room with a balcony for just $18 and the family was so gorgeous. We soon found out that when the Water Festival started on the 13th there would be NO buses out until at least the 17th and with the backlog probably the 19th. We met an Argentinean guy who had spent 2 and a half fun filled days on the train getting from Yangon so we weren’t keen on that and the plane fares were $86 each vs ~$18 on the bus. Decisions would have to be made...but not yet.

We were advised that the fastest internet in town was at KKO, almost the furtherest point in the village from us but still only a 15 minute walk. Tim had a couple of big jobs on and it was essential he could download and upload larger files. It proved to be reasonably true. On a good day it was the fastest we had experienced in the whole of Myanmar so far. On a bad day it could still take an hour to upload a 1 MB file. Still it was better than Yangon and considering the transport issues, we decided to hang out here until 20th and then fly straight back to Yangon to fly out on 22nd.

Our days turned into fairly laid back routine, other than the obligatory Lake tour which we did on about day 3. Be woken up at 3.30am by the surround sound temples that went almost non-stop for the whole 5 day festival. Fall back into a fitful slumber around 7.30 when the volume decreased a little. Get up in time for a complimentary 4 course breakfast of samosas, pancake, eggs, toast, coffee/tea, juice and fruit. Chat to whoever was the latest intake of guests to see what they had been doing. Tim would work if he needed to and I would catch up on reading etc. Head down to the Internet, trying to dodge (usually unsuccessfully) the kids with water pistols, buckets and hoses for the latest updates and downloads. We would then wander back via the local tea house for a milk tea then onto the guesthouse where there would be complimentary chilled Lime juice waiting for us. We’d take a shower, rest and then head down for evening cold beers at Htoo Htoo Aung, a little restaurant just down the street that provided great views of life in general from their front grassed area. The family was lovely. Moo Moo the 4th Son spoke pretty good English and filled us in on all the local info. His nephew Lho Lho would wander through every now and then, jump on my lap and play with my watch/sunglasses/bracelet until mum or nanna came to drag him away.

More likely than not other travellers would see two foreigners in the restaurant and decide to give it a try. We ended up with 16 people in a big group one night as people who had met each other in previous travels connected. What is it? Six degrees of separation. There was even an Italian brother and sister who met up with an Argentinean guy who they had met on the remote west Coast of Australia!!!!

Most nights we would eat there, mainly because the food was as good as any other in town unless you wanted pasta or pizza. The lady did a mean chicken curry and the Shan set menu for about $4 was huge.

The great majority of travellers we met were long termers. At least 6 months on the road and many, like us longer. We definitely saw package tourists when we went on our lake tour but it seemed that they were "separated" from the general populace and us independent travellers. I’m definitely not complaining as it appeared to keep the hassle “separated” too. It seemed that Myanmar was that kind of place. Perhaps it was the lack of internet that meant that people actually had to remove their noses from their notebooks and I Phones and connect with each other.

Our trip on the lake was nice but did include the expected “cultural” stops that were an excuse to get you to buy stuff. The local market was very small that day (it rotates on some weekly or 5 day roster) which meant that those tourists on the lake were concentrated in one spot. It was our first wake-up call on how many tourists were actually about AND our first real experience of “HARD sell”. Although they soon left us alone when they worked out we weren’t in the market and the “wealthier” tourists arrived.

We got to visit the silver shop, the weaving shop (x 2), the black smiths and the cheroot making factory. All were very interesting and we managed to get away with only one small weaving and a lacquer ware box full of cheroots. What we will do with them I have no idea as neither of us smoke!

We also saw the floating/stilted village and the floating tomato gardens, both giving us some insight of life on the lake and a couple of temples, one of which was the “Jumping Cat Monastery”. The weather took a turn for the worse as we arrived here and absolutely bucketed down for two hours. It was interesting as we watched the tourists arrive in various states of sogginess arrive and settle in for the long wait. I didn’t see any jumping cats but Tim did see one vaulting the offering bowls on a row of Buddhas before pissing on one! Not very auspicious me thinks!

When the rain finally stopped we hopped back in our boat and took off at full tilt back to the village. Our prop unfortunately couldn’t handle the strain and it wasn’t long before the “key” snapped and we were set adrift in the middle of the lake with big black clouds on three sides and an amazing sunset on the other. Tim snapped away as our driver fixed the bits and we were off and away within 20 minutes.

While we didn’t do all that much in our 10 days we did manage to walk most of the streets in the town, eat at a good percentage of the restaurants and get to know a fair bit about the locals. We were a bit sad to leave for our flight back to Yangon but the visa was running out and Tim needed decent internet to finish off the job he was doing. We booked a ticket on the newest airline (open a month) KBZ and hoped it would be a bloody sight safer and nicer than the government airline.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


sontushuellaselcamino.wordpress.com on

Hi Tim & Sharyn! We are Carmen and David, the spanish couple that shared with you a nice chat at Mingalar Inn. We really liked your photos and stories in this blog. Hope the trip goes on very well. We are still thinking about the Truck Africa adventure that you told us.
Happy travels!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: