Shopping in Lima

Trip Start Jul 06, 2007
Trip End Aug 06, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Peru  ,
Friday, July 20, 2007

The flight to Lima was surprisingly on time!  Since our bags were checked through to Sao Paulo; we were able to go freely around town and check out a few markets.  We took the cheap collectivo minibus.  Many people at the airport were trying to push us into taxis, but they were way overpriced.  I felt safer in a minibus with normal people-businessmen, mothers with kids, shoppers and the occasional tourist.  First we got out at the Feria Artensanal market to check out more handicrafts.  I found some bird related knickknacks and Ina got a nice hand-tooled leather belt.  There are several buildings to get through and we spent a couple hours in the market.

I felt immediately stronger being at sea level, I guess I am not meant to be a mountain person!  Ina did fine in both places which was surprising for someone who had lived his whole life at sea level.  After shopping, a nice local helped us to get to the next destination-the fancy mall at Larcomar.  There is no direct minibus so we had to take a taxi.  The local asked the price and told us "ocho" soles which I know means 8.  When we got there, the taxi driver told us "diezocho" 18 and I knew he was full of crap but I got too nervous to fight with him over 10 soles which is $3.00 USD so I just paid it, even then he tried not giving us our change.  Bastard!!  Larcomar mall is beautiful with breathtaking views over the sea, a nice food court and fancy, upscale shops.  We had lunch overlooking the sea below and a soccer game on the beach.  Then we wandered around looking at the shops. 

Our last stop was the Wilson Street area outside the Sheraton Hotel for cheap software.  We were quickly approached by a man with an album full of programs and he led us to a nearby mall where my selections were burned on CDs and they showed me on the computer that they worked and were in English.  The salesman then showed us where the bus stop was to get back to the airport.  Pretty nice guy for a pirate! 

I wanted to get back to the airport before dark as Lima is unsafe especially for tourist after dark.  We barely made it by 6pm so went to the shopping area so I could go online and Ina chatted with some locals.  Around 9pm, we got the unwelcome news that our flight had been delayed 5 hours!  This would make us miss the connecting flight in Sao Paulo to GOL which was a prepaid internet cheapie.  The people at LAN assured us that they would pay for opur onward flight if we lost the connection.  I also went to the GOL counter at the aiport and asked them send a message explaining the situation and that we are not no-shows.  The lady said that Sao Paulo airport is in chaos because there was a big crash a few days earlier which we had no clue about since we hadnīt seen tv news or a newspaper in English in a couple weeks.  The domestic airport was closed and all flights were trasferred to the international one-Guaruhlos.  Having no choice and being afraid to sleep and miss the delayed flight, we had to sit up all nightand wait.  I played on the internet and Ina crashed out a bit.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: