'Dude Ranch'

Trip Start Mar 15, 2006
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Montana
Friday, June 22, 2007

Our last day at the 'Lake Upsada Dude Ranch' was just as wonderful as the first, but not without some excitement.
This morning, after breakfast, we loaded up in a van with some other guests to drive to a local hike. We didn't realize it was going to be such a long drive.(almost an hour) This was my kind of hike. We started out around 4,000ft. By the time we got tour starting point, we were at about 7,000ft. We only hiked a couple hundred feet, but we were at one of the highest points in Montana. The views were incredible. We even visited one of the 'Lookout Points' where they watch for forest fires. By the time we got back to the ranch, it was almost 1:30pm and time for lunch.
After lunch, Kelly and Keegan went horseback riding. Collin didn't want to ride, so we stayed back and played pool, fished and swam in the lake. We had a great time, got a few bites, but didn't catch anything. Kelly and Keegan's ride was much more eventful. Collin and I were swimming in the lake when we saw them riding back in with their group and everything was fine. We couldn't see them when they got up to the barn, but we heard some yelling and saw a horse run off. Apparently, they were about 200 ft from the barn and Keegan's saddle started to slide off. The horse got spooked by this and took off on a sprint, with Keegan basically riding side-saddle. He fell off after about 8 seconds and banged up his arm pretty good and got a nice welt on his back. When I saw his arm, I thought for sure it was broken. Praise God, it wasn't broken. He has a nasty bruise and a large scrape, but other than that he's fine. Greg, the owner, was beside himself. He kept hugging Keegan and asking him if he was okay. I'm sure most owners would just be worried about getting sued, but these people are phenomenal. They treat everyone like family. Keegan couldn't have been any more of a trooper. At dinner, everyone was coming up and asking him if he was okay. As always, he made us very proud.
We met up in the lodge with everyone before dinner and talked about our day. It's amazing how you get close to people after just spending a few days with them. We all went down to the lake for a fire after dinner. It was just getting dark around 10pm. All of the kids had a great time running around and playing tag, while the adults sat at the fire and talked.
We've decided this is definitely one of, if not, the best stop on our trip so far.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: