Longer than expected.

Trip Start Mar 04, 2005
Trip End Dec 31, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Rivers Edge RV Resort

Flag of United States  , Alaska
Sunday, July 24, 2011

After several cold and gray days in Denali we arrived under bright blue skies and sunshine in Fairbanks on July 19.  We had planned on spending four nights here.  This is, yet again, a place we had spent time in on our last trip north and we felt that we 'had left no rock unturned'.  But, you can't come to Alaska and not visit Fairbanks.  So here we are with a list of things for our travelling companions to do! 

We had planned on leaving on Saturday the 23rd but, as often happens in this life on the road our 'house' had other plans for us.  When Ken went back to get more ice from our freezer for his happy hour margarita on Thursday he noticed a distinct smell of amonia coming from our fridge/freezer.  That could only mean one thing, that our cooling unit had ruptured and that in no time we would no longer be able to keep our fridge/freezer cold.

Friday found our friends heading out to the World Eskimo-Indian Olympics as Ken & I ( along with Doug Bell ) headed to the service center.  My dad used to always say that your car will always know when you've got a little money saved and will break to a dollar amount just over that!  Well, seems our coach has developed a similar annonying trait. Don't you know I had been looking forward - for weeks - to going to the 'games' and would have to miss out on them as we sat, yet again, in an RV service center. 

The problem was diagnosed and the phone calls began between the RV service center and our extended warranty company.  By quitting time we were no closer to a  resolution.  We headed back to camp, farmed out most of our freezer stuff to our friends - an unanticipated benefit to traveling with friends, I have no idea what we would have done with our 20+ pounds of "Ken caught" halibut otherwise - and told everyone to continue on as scheduled the next moring. 

We chose to sit out the weekend in Fairbanks in hopes of having the warranty companies 'authorized' inspector come out to take a look at our busted fridge/freezer.  As luck would have it the inspector arrived early on Monday morning, verified the unit as being dead and the warranty company approved our delaying of the repair until our arrival in Washington state. 

So, a few days delayed we were once again back on the road.  We would have to miss out on a planned stop in Haines - again, a place I was really looking forward to spending time at as on our last trip we were only there for a few hours, the coach must have known!!  After  two nights spent along the Alaska Highway we arrived back in Whitehorse on the 27th - a day ahead of the rest of the group. 

I can admit to being disappointed in the delay in leaving as well as missing out on three days in Haines.  But, as we've learned in our years on the road, you just have to roll with the stuff that happens.  If you don't - or can't - this really isn't the life for you.  After all, what I haven't told you, is that during the same time frame we had a water leak in the kitchen which we discovered when we had a lake in the middle of the floor and our tow bar is once again busted - pretty much beyond repair this time!  You've just got to keep smiling.....and rolling on down the road!   
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: