Day One

Trip Start Apr 24, 2013
Trip End Apr 26, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
On a bus mostly and Crowne Plaza

Flag of United States  , Virginia
Wednesday, April 24, 2013

We have had a great day! All 20 hours! Everything went according to schedule this morning. We left at 4 00 am sharp. Mr Jerry Knight, driver for C & H Bus Lines, delivered us at the airport promptly.  After a short delay (what was that about, Air Tran?) we went thru security, had breakfast from Starbucks and Atlanta Bread Company, and boarded the plane. The flight was good. Plane was full. It was a "first" flight for about twenty of the forty students in our group. They applauded when we touched down. The stewardess had a pretty good sense of humor....she got on the speaker and said the usual thanks for flying Air Tran, and welcome to Davenport, Iowa!  The chaperones got a big laugh ...most of the students didn't hear her or had a funny look on their faces!

Our guide, Lorna, was waiting for us at the airport. First matter of business...LUNCH. We headed to the Pentagon Centre Mall's food court. It was interesting...Subway, Panda Express, Taco Bell, and about eight vendors we had not heard of before. But offerings of ones we are familar with. The mall was four stories high, very pretty. Allie and Anna found this store inviting...

After lunch, we headed to Arlington National Cemetary. What a tour we experienced. We did a walking tour much longer than we had planned. We visited the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and saw the changing of the guards;The Kennedy brothers' graves and the graves of President Kennedy and Jackie Kennedy Onassis; toured Robert E Lee's home; ampitheatre; the oldest grave; observed two funerals including the 21 gun salute, horse and carriage carrying the casket; and walked section 60 where recent killed in action are buried.  This is where we visited the grave of Shawn Adolphus, from Sandersville. Shawn was the brother of Coach Lori Adolphus at EMS and was killed in a car wreck while on leave from Afghanistan. Now let me say, there were 108 TIRED feet that arrived back at the bus. But we were all moved by what we witnessed there this afternoon. Aand I must comment on the tulips and cherry trees. Gorgeous!

Back on the bus, we headed over the Potomac River into Washington, DC. We caught glimpses of the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, and Ford's Theatre. We headed to Safeway to purchase water and snacks for the next two days (comical and definitely not on our schedule). We then headed to Hard Rock Cafe for dinner. Oh wow, there's the White House!
Tonight we visited all the memorials....Lincoln, Vietnam, Korean, and Martin Luther King. The area was really crowded and we were there for a couple of hours. About 9 00 we headed back over the Potomac River into Maryland. A busload of very tired people.  We are staying at a Crowne Plaza somewhere in Maryland. Room is great.  Wake up call at 6 45 am. We have a full day planned tomorrow.

Night night!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: