Ouagadougou, January 16, 2009 - Friday

Trip Start Dec 18, 2008
Trip End Jan 18, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Burkina Faso  ,
Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The ride back to Ouaga was as uneventful as they come. Arno and I spent it chatting a bit, nodding off a bit every now and then, and then chatting again. He was a bit stiff, but basically quite a nice guy. His journey had just started. And I was ending mine.

When we arrived in Ouagadougou, Arno let me know that he was planning to stay in a cheaper place, not far from the hotel „Belle Vue" where I was intending to return. I suggested he join me on the ride there as I was planning to phone the people in the hotel and take them up on their promise to send a car for me when I returned. He at first said there was no need, that he wouldn't like to be a nuisance to anyone in any way. But I insisted:

„Why would you pay the taxi when you can go for free?“ I asked. „They are picking me up anyway.“

My argument won over so we waited for the car together. And sure enough, soon it was there – the same guy who had sought to overcharge me two days before.

When we arrived in front of the hotel „Belle Vue“, Arno claimed that his own hotel was just „around the corner“ so the driver dropped us both off. Arno and I shook hands, wished each other all the best in the future and that was it.

Back in Ouaga after my two-day excursion to Gorom-Gorom and back, I was effectively at the end of my first trip to Africa. The travelling was over and now I just had two and a half days left here in the Burkinabe capital before I went home. That was as well. I could go on travelling like this for much longer, enjoying it all the way, but honestly, I was also tired of dirt and dust, and only one pair of jeans. In that respect, I didn’t mind going home. I love travels. Always have, always will. Nothing will ever change that. But after two great intercontinental trips back to back, my travelling bug had been put to sleep for now and I didn’t feel that itch and restlessness like I had before the trip to China and North Korea. Now with the thirst for roaming the world temporarily quenched, I could turn back once more to other aspects of my life.

I rang Na Prisca up and she agreed to join me for lunch. With her track record, I could only hope she wouldn’t be too long. I wasn’t that hungry yet, but people tend to get hungry if they go on without food long enough. I wondered what would be the case with me this time.

But to her credit, she arrived surprisingly soon. In an hour or so, which was perfectly fine with me. I suggested we go to that „Jardin de l’Amitiť“ restaurant again, where we had already dined recently. She didn’t mind and that was it. She insisted on going by her bike which I wasn’t way too happy to oblige, particularly after the accident early in the morning in Dori. But eventually I agreed, telling myself that this would be the last one.

It wasn’t, in fact. We had another ride together after lunch, on my way back to the hotel. But I lived to talk about it and at the end of the day it was all that mattered.

When some time later she left, I realised I was as good as ready for the good rest for the rest of the day.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: