Don't forget your mittenwald

Trip Start Nov 04, 2005
Trip End Nov 15, 2005

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Germany  ,
Thursday, November 10, 2005

Today we awoke early to catch the train to Mittenwald, the most charming Bavarian town according to Rick Steves. We arrived at 9:30 and found it to be the sleepiest Bavarian town as only a handful of shops were open. We took the train back towards Munich and stopped for lunch in Garmisch-Partkirchen. We thought this was the most charming town. We stowed our souvenirs in a train station locker and walked through the old village. We had lunch at a little café/backerei (bakery) where Jimmy had his favorite little brats and sauerkraut with a fresh baked Kaiser roll. I thought I had had enough German favorites so I tried the home made tortellini and spinach. It was good but my serving was enough for 4 hungry Germans. We strolled around the Olympic arena and considered taking the Zugspitz mountain gondola to the top of the Alps. But the ride was 2 hours long and we didn't want to be that late getting back to town. It was also 28 degrees at the top. We had a milkshake made from chocolate gelato while we waited for the train back to Munich. It was the best. We made it back to Munich in time for dinner, we chose The hard rock café and had a delightful hamburger. It was great, just us and a bunch of other hungry Americans. As we were finishing a one man band started playing. He was German but he was singing the easy listening hits from the mid 70's -80's. It was funny, he was very good but he only knew the first verse and chorus of the songs. After dinner we walked back to the hotel and went through one of their popular department stores. Tomorrow we are going out to Dachau, a concentration camp near by. So much for going out on a high note.

Saturday Nov 11th 2005

Friday we went to an authentic little town called Dachau, better known for it's concentration camp of the same name. 32000 inhabitants struggled to survive in the camp built to house 6000. We arrived pretty early in the morning it was cold and grey and foggy. If we were shooting a movie about the sadness behind those walls we couldn't have picked a better day. We saw the main buildings where prisoners were checked in, shaved and stripped of their possessions. The museum has a collection of things that were confiscated, Old bank books, insurance papers, eye glasses and personal notes. We saw the showers where they were humiliated and dehumanized and the barracks where they slept stacked in bunks to the ceiling. The most moving was the interrogation halls where they were held for no reason and deprived of everything. It was chilling to think that it wasn't so long ago. The museum outlined the rise of communism and the propaganda used to make the public think that the prisoners were better off in the camps. It was truly eerie abut we're glad we got to see it to kind of put everything into perspective. We especially enjoyed the memorial which in many languages spelled out never again. Somberly we took the train back to Munich where we had the best gyro ever. They call them kebaps. It was turkey spiced up and shaved into a Kaiser roll with a tangy yogurt sauce. After lunch we headed out to get a closer look at the alliance stadium where Bayern Munchen plays. It's a really neat stadium; we thought about taking a tour but didn't want to spend another 2 hours there. We shopped around for souvenirs and I toured the Viktualenmarkt a huge open air market full of butchers, cheese mongers, fruit stands and flowerkarts. It was really neat. Jimmy hung out at Paulaner while I shopped. We had dinner at a little café in marienplatz and headed back to the hotel for our early wake up call. We awoke at 4 this morning and took the train back to the airport to catch our flight to Amsterdam. I didn't feel well at all and when they served a breakfast of Tunafish sandwiches and burned coffee I almost lost it. We enjoyed our layover in Holland. We had a great breakfast at the food court but picked the wrong line for passport control and waited behind some Africans as they all got detained. We boarded the plane for Detroit and watched 4 movies during the 9 hour flight. When we landed in Detroit I considered just staying there, I really didn't think I could go another 4 hours in the air to get to Dallas. Jimmy pulled me through the airport and we had a nice flight back to Dallas. We landed and headed out into the 80 degree weather, so happy to be back in the US of A where the people are fat, the folks are friendly and everyone speaks English.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: