New York, New York

Trip Start Aug 02, 2007
Trip End Aug 12, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , New York
Tuesday, August 7, 2007

 We set the alarm for 6:00am but nobody wanted to get up and moving.  I wasn't in the mood to try and get everybody going so I decided to let everyone sleep a little while.  I worked on the travel blog and read the newspaper while drinking my coffee (I know I am not supposed to have caffeine but I just couldn't keep up this pace without a little jump start).  Terry and I decided we would go at the kids pace today and we let them figure out everything that needed to be packed just to give them an idea of how much work we had been doing every morning to get the family on the road.  We didn't leave the hotel until 9:30am, my original plan was to be in New York city by 9:30am. I had printed direction to get to a PATH train station in Jersey City and we would take the train into New York. If had more time I would have realized the mapquest directions were poorly planned.  We took 95 south from CT into NY and then crossed over the Hudson river on the George Washington bridge.  There were HEAVY delays going over the bridge! We should have crossed the river farther north and we would have missed a large amount of traffic.  Oh well, we now have an appreciation for the traffic congestion around New York and New Jersey. (I don't know why people live in this area)
I am not sure what the logic is, if any, behind the New Jersey highway signing system.  Terry and I have yet to understand why the signs tell you to get into the left lane and then the next sign tells you to get into the far right lane.  Needless to say we lost our way and spent about 45 minutes trying to find our way through Jersey City to the train station.  We finally made it to the parking ramp at 12:30pm, way behind schedule but we made it!  We figured out how to buy a pass to get on the train from the vending machines, enter them into the turn style and jumped on the train for New York's 33rd street subway station. We then walked about 10 blocks, with a stop at Starbucks, to the ticket office for the Greyline bus tours. We hoped on the bus and then jumped off at Battery Park to grab the harbor cruise.  Once again we found ourselves running for a boat, but unlike Boston we made our 4:00pm boat time in New York.  Returned from our Harbor cruise and then let Riley run through the Battery Park fountains, amazing what a run through a fountain on a New York city hot humid day will do for a 10 year old boy's attitude :)  We walked to World Trade Center sight and the memorial to the firefighters who lost their lives in the tragedy.  Then we walked in circles for about an hour maybe more.  (I take full credit for this, long story explain later, I am sure a few people saw us walk by them more than two or three times)  We finally found our bus stop and jumped on the bust to finish the tour.  We also had tickets to the Empire State building but it was already 9:00pm and Terry and I were exhausted.  We let the kids stop at the M&M store and then grabbed a slice of pizza before we grabbed the subway back to Jersey city.  I would not want to live in New York city or even near it.  The kids seemed to enjoy the trip, except for their (GRUMPY, IMPATIENT) mother.     We made it back to the car around 10:30 and then headed for Philly.  The mapuest directions worked great and it was nice to get out of the state of New Jersey.  The kids slept in the car and we arrived at the hotel at midnight.  We all fell into the beds exhausted. 
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: