Amazing architecture, weather & food = GREAT TRIP
Trip Start Unknown
5Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
As the bus from Girona airport drove us into Barcelona the first thing that struck me were the buildings. Barcelona has some great architecture and many of the streets are just filled with amazing buildings.
One of the best things we enjoyed was the warm weather! going from 7 degrees in Stockholm to 24 degrees in Barcelona was great. It was great to be able to go outside wearing a T-shirt!
Inside the park there was a sculpture park area made up of buildings and designs by Gaudi.In particular some features which stood out included the benches which were covered in mosaic and shaped in a serpentine shape.
Interesting fact - the benches were designed with tiles covering them in order that it would dry quickly after it rains.
On the Wednesday we went, there were many street stores lined in the main park area. The stores sold unique hand made necklaces and earrings for reasonable price - TIP: if you are ever there and like any of the jewellery make sure to buy it coz the same stores might not be there the next time you go back to the park.
On the second day we met up with Ken and pretty much visited all the main "must see" sites in Barcelona including
La Rambla - the main street in Barcelona. There is amazing food market along this street (La Boqueria market), filled with fresh fruit, bread,chocolate you name it they probably have it. (There was even a store which sold pigs heads - kinda creeped me out). We loved the food market here so much that we made it a point to buy our breakfast there every day we were in Barcelona
Cassa Mila/La Pedrera - more of Gaudi's works.
Sant Pau del Camp- oldest church in Barcelona
Meseu Picasso- museum of some of Picasso's works.
Sagrada Familia - Roman cathedral that they have been building since 1882 and its still not finished!! apparently its expected to be completed by 2026. One of Gaudi's masterpieces and a popular tourist site in Barcelona.
Plus a bunch of other places.
Food in Barcelona!!
* In general lunch is the main meal in Barcelona as opposed to dinner being the main meal. So during lunch time you can generally find some pretty good deals if you steer away from the touristy areas. Typically you can get a 3 course meal- entree,main and dessert plus a drink for about 10 euros(so around $15aud).
* Thursday is Paella day!
* Keep in mind- Eating times tend to be a lot later in Barcelona lunch is usually during 2-4pm whilst dinner from 9-12pm.
Things to do in Barcelona
* Visit Parc GŁell, Sagrada Familia, Food market on La Rambla
* Go shopping!! Zara!! - It's a Spanish company so all the clothes are cheaper in Spain.
* Everything is closed on Sunday- most people are home so the streets are pretty empty. Barcelona on Sunday feels like a different city it's so quiet.