Warderick Wells N24 23.678 W76 37.943

Trip Start Mar 09, 2009
Trip End May 26, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Bahamas  ,
Wednesday, April 22, 2009

April 21, 2009 - Big Major to Warderick Wells  N24 23.678   W76 37.943
We lifted anchor at Big Major at 10:15AM heading for Warderick Wells.  The weather for the week is going to turn NE to E 20-25 kts so we've decided on Warderick Wells as a hidey hole until the winds moderate.  
Today it's 15-20 kts ESE so we had almost a following sea which was a nice change.  Even on the Bank the seas were 5-6'.   As I was mesmerized by the waves, I noticed that one end of the brace between the two arms of the dinghy davits had broken. I was afraid the dinghy was going to get lose and I couldn't think of how to describe it so I  pointed and kept saying to Dave, "Let me take the wheel, the thingy back there is broken.  That thingy is hanging!"  He looked at me "What Thingy?!" then turned around and saw the brace bouncing up and down!  Then the perverbial "Oh Shit!"

I quickly took the wheel and put the boat into the waves to try to to stabilized it while Dave secured the davits by tying a line across the davits holding it like the brace was doing.  This brace was added by the previous owners to put solar panels up over the dinghy davits.  It's a good thing there were no solar panels as we probably wouldn't have them now!  The davits are fine and the dinghy secured and the "thingy" is just bobbing away.  Just a small little problem to contend with while out in the waves and wind!
As we changed our heading for Warderick Wells we were among about six other sailboats heading in the same direction on the Bank.  Had our main sail up and were sailing a broad reach at about 6.5-7 kts (running engine at low RPMs).  Everyone was heading for Warderick from the Bank and several more coming in the Sound - it looked like rush hour!  We were given the same mooring as we had going down! 
We're not sure how long we're going to stay.  We inquired about volunteer opportunities while we're here and should find out Thursday if they have any projects that need to be worked on.  It does, however, look like the ENE winds are going to continue in the high 20's through Monday.  We're in no hurry - got no place to be! ...and besides we can't figure out where we want to go next after Hawksbill and Allen. 


We debated about going back to Nassau and  fueling, taking on water and topping off groceries and then heading to Eluthera or going Nassau straight to Little Harbor. We have used the last of our 6 gallon jerry jugs so currently have about 40 gallons of water on board.    We have averaged three gallons a day between showers and dishes and cooking.  I mostly use the raw water (outside salt water) to do the dishes with a quick rinse of fresh water when they're clean.  The raw water pump at the sink is a life saver.  Showers are 1-2 minutes max!  Water in the Exumas is fifty cents a gallon when you can find it; in Nassau it's $8/day all you can use so we could wash the boat but would pay a slip fee of $1.50/foot + electric...but have a creature comfort for a day or two; in the Abacos it looks to be around twenty cents a gallon. 
Family Cruisers

Seeing a lot more family cruisers.  Wandarra with two little ones, Pelican has an 8 and 12 yr old, a Catamaran came into Black Point with three teenagers, a 45' catch anchored near us at Black Point and now in Warderick with 4 kids on board and are with another boat with three kids on board.  The "Cats Paw" catamaran behind us has two kids and a large golden retriever on board.  They are all out for a couple of years and those of school age are being home schooled.  Wish I had thought of that!

It's now 9:45AM and the wind is blowing about 8-10 kts N and the air is cool.  On Channel 9 the Park office gives a very detailed weather forecast and then at 9AM asks that any boats leaving to give their boat names - only two responded this morning that they were leaving today.  After that, the boats that want to get a mooring call in on Channel 9 and there are about 10 boats on the waiting list to get a moorning.  You can call a day ahead and get on the list but once you're on a mooring you can stay until you want to leave so each morning the Park Office figures out what moorings will be available that day and calls the boats that can come in.  Some boats anchor over at Emerald Rock waiting for a mooring.  That was going to be our plan however we were lucky and got a mooring right away, probably because we are a smaller boat with a shallow draft.  The moorings closer to the island usually have the trawlers, catamarans and shallow draft smaller sailboats on them.  Works for me!

Life is GOoD!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: