The time we fell from the sky

Trip Start Oct 01, 2012
Trip End Oct 01, 2015

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  , Waikato,
Friday, March 8, 2013

We woke up feeling anxious, nervous and a little sick- maybe it was the drinks the night before or maybe it was the fact we'd booked to do a skydive today!!
That morning we just hung around the hostel chatting to others we'd met on our magic bus so far. We had to ring to double check people were jumping, they were and we were to be picked up 15 minutes later.
Tai was starting to get really nervous and just needed to be left alone for a while, because I was left to my own thoughts I then started to get really nervous and the tables turned as tai managed to get his head together. We arrived at the airport and was given our jumping options, 12,000 or 15,000 ft - I was shocked when tai said he wanted to go for the highest jump which has double the free fall time! We also chose to get a camera man jumping with us to film our jump, our videos should be on you tube and you can see them with the following links,, click on the you tube link in the top right corner, enter the date (8/3/13) and load number (8) in the main search box and our jumps should be there!
We got suited up in our onesies Tai's finishing a good few inches above his ankles, got our harnesses on and waited for our instructors to arrive, mine was from the uk and Tai's was from Australia, mine had done 13,000 jumps, Tai's only 1,300!!
Soon enough it was time to get into the plane, my hands were starting to shake just walking across the runway and tai was absolutely fine. The ascent took around 20 minutes, our two instructors were joking around and chatting to us both the whole time which made things a little better, we had to wear oxygen masks for a while as the planes air isn't compressed, the doors opened at 12,000 feet and a couple of people jumped, it was still another 5 minutes if climbing for us. Then before we knew it it was our turn, another girl went first, then it was Tai's turn, it was weird seeing him falling out of a plane, I didn't like it at all! Then it was my turn the instructor just lifted me in the harness and moved me towards the edge of the plane and dangled me over the edge so I was outside and he was inside, I put my head back and held onto my harness and then he rolled forward and we were gone tumbling through the air as he started to get us into a stable horizontal position. Once your horizontal it doesn't even feel as though your falling, just kind of floating but the floor gets closer and closer, you also reach speeds of at least 200km/h!! Before we knew it the free fall was over, the parachute open, we were pulled vertically and everything went quiet.
The parachute part was just as awesome, the views of lake taupo were beautiful and both our instructors pointed out mount doom to us - it meant more to tai than to me. I also got to fly the parachute myself pulling the left side down and swooping to the left then doing the same and sweeping to the right. Our instructors both spun us in circles as we came down as well which was really fun and then before we knew it is was over and we landed on the ground with a bump. Even though I jumped third I came down last and tai thought I'd backed out!
We watched our DVDs, paid a lot of money and headed back to the hostel where we relayed our experiences to our friends!
It had been awesome and we were already talking of other similar things we could line up to do next!
We walked down to the lake for sunset and watched people attempt the hole in one challenge where people had to hit a golf ball to a platform out on the lake for the chance to win $10,000! We didn't see a winner, thoroughly in need of a beer after our days activities we headed to a bottle shop and got a few drinks before heading back to the hostel where we spent the rest of the evening.
The next day we spent playing pool, darts and table football while the others waited for confirmations of their sky dives, unfortunately the wind was too strong and they were all cancelled that day which made us realise how lucky we'd been with the weather, in the evening we met a group of kiwis who were here for the weekend and we headed into town with them unfortunately ending up back at element bar where the only option was to get drunk on $5 wine!
We woke up the following morning with fuzzy heads, our friends left and got the magic bus to the next stop but we had to stay another day as it was full. We decided to head down to the lake and walk along the trail around the edge. The trail is around 90km so we obviously didn't go the whole way but it was nice being near the water as parachutes appeared every now and again in the sky above us.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: