A whole different side of Lima

Trip Start Oct 01, 2012
Trip End Oct 01, 2015

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Peru  , Loja,
Friday, February 1, 2013

Our epic journey back to lima began at 4am when we walked through the pitch black streets to vilcambambas bus station- nothing seemed to be happening and as the time neared 5 (the 1st bus of the day) we began to worry that they may not be running that early today-it was important we got this bus so we could get our connecting one. At 5 to 5 there seemed to be some movement on the bus and a guy got off, went to the toilet against a wall and shouted vamos motioning for us to get on. At 5 we left - the driver must sleep on the bus. We got that 1st bus an hour or so up the road making our second bus with 15 minutes to spare where we settled in for the next 10 hours crossing the border back into Peru. The town of piura where we had to get yet another bus was just basically one big street market with locals trying to sell everything from live chickens to toilet roll holders. It was dirty busy and loud and we headed straight to a bus terminal where we had to wait for our final bus to Lima. It was 14 hour over night bus and we arrived at our 2nd home - condors house - at around 9am and were welcomed with warm hugs as we caught up with our friends again. Tom - an English guy we'd met on our last stop there who'd had to go home had also returned that day and we all spent the evening and well into the next morning having a few drinks, swapping stories and giving drunken hair cuts!
We left condors house for the last time the next morning and caught a taxi over to our friend fiorellas house who we'd met in montanita. Her auntie prepared us a beautiful lunch of typical Peruvian food and we laughed about our antics over Christmas and new year. After lunch we headed to her beach house, we had to get a taxi which proved a little difficult as they all increased the prices because me and tai were there and fiorella said she wouldn't pay gringo tax ha!
We made it though to a huge 2 storey house by the beach with a massive outdoor area. We were welcomed with open arms by fiorellas family who'd apparently had a couple of glasses of wine already and seemed to be feeling very confident with there English. We spent the afternoon at the beach - the area where we were was where locals come just for the summer or weekends and we were obviously the only gringos in sight!
As the sun set we headed back to the beach house where we ate dinner, drank rum and listened to fiorellas family play guitar and sing typical Peruvian songs, including a football song from the last time Peru made it to the world cup in 1982! We stayed there with her family's as lots of her friends arrived before heading out to sample the local nightlife.
We drove down a road which was lined by huge nightclubs (which are only open 3 months of the year during the summer) on either side, as parking attendants waved people into spaces and hundreds and hundreds of people queued to get in. It seemed very American and we soon joined the masses of people as we tried to get into one of the clubs. The method they have for getting in is very bizarre - everyone surges around different entrances as they try and catch someone's attention that works there, you then apparently have to chat to that someone for a little while and if they like you they let you in, if not you have to try somewhere else...
Needless to say the clubs were full of girls as the guys tried and failed to get in too. Me, tai and fiorella made it into the first place which was a huge circular club and was really light (like the end of the night at an english nightclub) with a balcony round the top which was full of very tight shorts and flicking of hair. The other boys didn't make it in and so we soon left and headed to another one which was much cooler, darker and evenly mixed. We danced the night away and stumbled home shattered as the sun came up.
The next day was Sunday and we headed back to the beach for an hour or so, had lunch at the house and then headed back to the city. We watched a little qualifier of a football match - Peru got knocked out and headed to the theatre. It was a Spanish show but we figured if we read the plot summary first we'd be able to follow what was happening as the actors acted the different scenes etc. we were wrong it ended up being more like a dramatic reading where one guy and a stage full of random props recited the book the story was based on... We couldn't understand anything but it was a new experience so we enjoyed it all the same.
This weekend had been one of our best yet, fiorellas family had been so welcoming and it was awesome to just spend it with locals and experience there side of Lima!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Sarahs Mum on

The map is beginning to look a little like a drunken spiders web x

Gilda on

I am enjoying your blog. Sounds like you are having a great time. Love.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: