Goodbye mountains .. Hello beach

Trip Start Oct 01, 2012
Trip End Oct 01, 2015

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Peru  , La Libertad,
Thursday, December 6, 2012

We awoke to the bus stewardess pulling the blankets off as at four in the morning. We were confused and asked where we were- she looked at us like we were crazy- we were in Trujillo where we'd paid to come to 5.5 hours after leaving huaraz!
It was about 4 am so we jumped in a taxi and asked him to take us to a hostel in huanchaco, a beach town near Trujillo. At 4am you don't have much bargaining power over rooms so we took the first one we came to and got straight back into bed.
We awoke hungry and wanting to explore so we headed off to find breakfast and went for a walk along the beach. I'd ruined my bikini in the jungle by dying it with my douche bag trousers and now the bottoms were a horrible wee colour so I thought it best to buy another one before hitting the beach, watching the surfers and soaking up some rays for the first time since we arrived in south America! After a few hours our pasty bodies were feeling the effects of the sun and so we decided to retire to the hostel and have a couple of glasses of rum as the sun went down. We got talking to a couple from Scotland who'd travelled down from Ecuador and were going south so we shared some tips with them over a few drinks. A group of 3 Slovenians joined us and we all decided being Saturday night we should go and experience the local nightlife- and that we did, dancing in a very quiet bar, having drunken conversations on the beach and a dodgy taxi ride later we were all ready for bed at around 7am! We had a surfing lesson booked that day for 11 and surprisingly missed it only to venture out for a takeaway pizza which we took back to our room!
The next day feeling like we had a new lease of life we cooked breakfast and headed out for round 2 of surfing lessons.
Being our first lesson we had to learn how to get from lying down to standing and so on the beach lying on our boards he showed us the paddling position to the standing position- you have to lift your whole body up so your almost in a press up position then bring your back foot up followed by your front. For some reason I just couldn't get it right and kept jumping up instead of doing it slowly- tai on the other hand got it sussed first time. After a while of me being totally useless the instructor decided we should just try it in the sea and see what happens. The board was so big I couldn't get my arm round it and just kept dropping it till the instructor took it off me and carried it himself. The next challenge was getting into the sea which proved tough enough itself - the rocks on the sea bed were really sharp and tai cut open his toe- classic! The waves were really strong and I struggled just staying upright all the while the instructor just shook his head! We managed to get onto our boards- eventually and then we had to paddle out to where the waves were- again, very difficult with a wide board, we felt like we were just paddling with our hands! Eventually we got to the waves and it was time to try and stand, the instructor would get us in position, shout paddle as we went with the wave then up up up up up, the first couple of times I got to my knees and no further and swam back defeated, tai face planted the sea a few times. Then on the 3rd attempt I got up, I couldn't believe it and stood all the way in before jumping off before the shore! I was so pleased! We carried on for the next couple of hours doing the same thing, failing most times! At one point I caught the wave right back into the shore and then I was stuck- unable to lift my board properly, every time the water hit the board I dropped it and the wave would pushed it into my legs taking me out, this happened a few times and by the end there was a group of locals watching me falling over in about 3 inches of water like I was an exhibit in a museum. Battered bruised and embarrassed I decided to sit and wait for tai and the instructor to finish and to my delight got the perfect view of tai managing to stand the whole way back too!
It was a really awesome day and definitely a sport we can both see ourselves getting into! After all that exercise we were starving and so decided - now we were totes rad surfers - to go for dinner at a place called surfer burger!
The Scottish couple were leaving for huaraz that night so we caught up with them and said our goodbyes.
The following day we had a very important task to carry out - we had to book our flights to the Galapagos islands!!
The Scottish couple had let us know of a cheaper way to see them and so as a Christmas present from a very generous amazing dad and step mum we got some flights arranged- we go on the 9th january and were both beyond excited!
We also booked our bus for that night with the cheapest company we found and spent the day walking round the town taking it all in for the last time.
I don't know why we didn't ask about the bus company but we didn't and when we arrived we realised why it was so cheap, with broken windows and rusted metalwork it looked like it had done about a trillion miles. There was a guy with an incredibly raspy voice and a faced covered in cuts and bruises who found it hilarious to try and talk to us. The seats looked like they'd been stolen from a plane and nailed in place on this bus and once we eventually started going the bus stopped every 20 minutes or so to pick up more people. The people at the front would then stamp their feet until the bus got going again.
Somehow we both managed to sleep and 11 hours later (it was advertised as a 9 hour journey) we were arriving in mancora!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: