Himalayan Trek Day 17 - Namche Bazaar To Lukla

Trip Start Jan 03, 2012
Trip End May 02, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Sunny Garden Hotel

Flag of Nepal  ,
Monday, November 5, 2012

A short way into our downhill walk we witnessed a porter fall on the trail. He got back up and continued to carry his heavy load without much fuss.

After a couple of bridge crossings and steep descents we reached the riverside.  Jason fell while following Sonam across the rocks above shallow water.  Luckily, no damage was done.

We crossed innumerable bridges that day, some sturdy and others a little too bouncy for Jason's liking.  Still, he didn't let childhood fear get the better of him.

There seemed to be more mules and yaks than people on the trail.  After six hours of trekking with very few stops, we arrived in Lukla once again.

We checked into a small, dingy room knowing we could handle almost anything for our final night.

To celebrate, we treated KC and Sonam to a late lunch on the patio at Sunny Garden.  The three boys had chicken curry with rice while Sylvia opted for chicken fried noodles.  It was our first taste of meat in over two weeks.  Jason and Sonam drank big cans of Tuborg, KC had a Red Bull and Sylvia mellowed over another masala tea.

After lunch we said goodbye to Sonam and tipped him generously for his efforts to make our trek more pleasurable.  He'd already signed on for a new job as a cook in Namche so it may have been his last tour as a porter.

We took a walk to the airport, then around the little town.  Meanwhile, KC and the hotel staff confirmed our flight for the following day.

No longer in need of their support, we donated our trekking poles to a local trekking gear collection agency.  We took a few moments to reflect and were proud of what we'd accomplished, wished things had gone a little better with our crew and agreed that we likely would not attempt it again.

After dark there was no power so we had dinner by candlelight on each table and a kerosene lamp in the middle of the room.  We struggled to stay awake long enough to prevent spending over 12 hours in bed.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Marc on

Congratulations! Glad you made it back safely.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: