Welcome To Peru

Trip Start Jan 03, 2012
Trip End May 02, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Peru  ,
Friday, August 3, 2012

Eight hours and 100 millilitres of Johnny Black later we arrived safely in Lima. It was 32 hours later than our original scheduled arrival time.

In the wee hours of the morning we passed the first taxi challenge, avoiding being horrendously overcharged.  The honest looking driver we did accept drove around for a while in search of our guesthouse, eventually found it with our assistance, then tried to rip us off despite agreeing to a fee before we left the airport, saying that it costs more late at night.  He gave us back a little less change than we deserved but we'd had enough by that point.

Marco, the owner of Open Guest House in Miraflores, greeted us at the door.  He made us feel right at home.  Our room was small but clean.  We hit the pillows quickly.

We rose later than usual the next morning.  Breakfast was served with a smile.  Then it was time for more planning.  Our desire to head north to the Cordillera Blanca was quashed due to the time constraints brought on by our late arrival.  It became immediately apparent that travel in South America would be more complex and far more expensive than it was in Asia.  There would be no hostel pickups or drop-offs.  Instead, we would have to take taxis to and from bus terminals and haggle for the price of each and every one.

Feeling worn out from travel and planning more travel we decided to take a walk.  We had lunch at a nice little restaurant around the corner, then stopped in at the money exchange, a very clean and bright grocery store and a couple of travel agencies.  We struggled a little with communication due to our poor abilities to speak and understand Spanish.  Miraflores was overcast and gloomy, which paralleled our feelings.

Back at the guesthouse, we asked Marco for his help with booking a bus for the following day.  He tried several companies and found one that seemed to suit our needs and budget.  We also booked a hostel in Paracas for the following night.  While doing so, our netbook computer crashed.  We suspected it happened because it was left on for almost 24 hours, including two limo rides, the flight and the taxi to our guesthouse.

We met two nice Australian couples while staying at Open Guest House, both of whom were on long trips like us.  Despite enduring numerous hardships along the way, they seemed to be enjoying themselves.  Is that really what it's all about?

We ate a light supermarket takeaway dinner and retired early, hoping a good night's sleep would spawn some motivation.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: